Astronomers Find a Dusty Galaxy that Shouldn't Exist

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think it's cool too. What I've always wondered is that we know gravity bends light thus changing it's direction. So if light gets bent or redirected several times before we see it, how do we know where it really came from?

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Science is surprised and science is amazed. Down goes Science! Science is up again but rocking back on its heels reeling from the blow! Science is stunned...confused. Science is on the ropes now! God is moving in to finish science once and for all!:yikes2:

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i26.tinypic.com_2aiokuq.jpg

Rains

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is puzzleing to them because everything about this galaxy goes against the big bang theory. When in fact the so called big bang never happened in the first place.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol at Hobbes' shirt.

So I'm not an astronomer but I play one on the internet. The short version is that in the early universe there was very little dust. The stuff floating around was basically hydrogen and helium gas. These are the two simplest atoms. When enough hydrogen gathers into one place, the gravity squeezes it until it is very dense and very hot. This is where fusion comes in. Hydrogen and helium fuse together to form more complex atoms such as carbon, oxygen, etc. After a while, these stars run out of fuel and explode blowing all of those other elements out into a cloud. That is the stuff that astronomers call dust. This process takes millions of years. What makes this discovery interesting is that the galaxy they found seems like it has a lot of dust but is very young in age which means that there shouldn't have been enough time for enough stars to form and blow up to account for the amount of dust the galaxy seems to have.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yet another surprise for science. I'm not even sure I fathom all of this, but it is interesting that the scientists don't either.

Astronomers Find a Dusty Galaxy that Shouldn't Exist

Any astonomers on hand that can explain this for a layman?

Shhhh, the science is settled.

Seriously I crack up every time I hear any scientist say they fully understand something. Most real science is only a few hundred years old while the universe is billions of years old. We do not even come close to fully understanding the planet we live on let alone what is going on billions of miles away.

Latest posts

Top Bottom