Blood pressure question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay got a question. I have chronic high blood pressure. I have had this problem since puberty, I am over 50 now, so crazy high readings are nothing new. I take a few meds to help keep my BP to a point the Dr's and Nursing folks do not always use the terms "stroke or die" for some reason that does not help bring my BP down. :)

But yesterday I saw odd readings, they showed up again today. I was alerted by hearing my heartbeat thumping in my ears. I checked and was at 220/86. Now for me that is just odd, when I run in the 200-220 range the bottom number has never been less than 100, most times closer to 120 or higher.

So the question, why the huge gap in the two pressures? I had it checked multiple times with 3 different cuffs and two different people during the afternoon and it was steady, just not what I normally see.

I do have nasty pain from a injured hip and knee (I know that kicks my BP higher) but even when the pain meds are working I had a large gap in the BP range. I know a gun forum is not the best place for medical advice, but I dont think it is worthy of a trip into the ER at this time. I will call my Dr in the AM when they open and see what they have to say.

This AM my pressure was "normal" for me, but later in the day it got out of whack again. I still think it has to do with the pain of my knee folding sideways, that messes with the hip. Just confused as to why the odd numbers.

Feel free to share any ideas.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No telling. But yes, that is too high. You need better control.

Oh we try, it is a real mess. I have fond out getting a hole poked in me and letting blood out does not let the BP go down unless a lot comes out. :)

Thanks for the reply, I am going to check it again now, I can feel it has settled to what it runs for me.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have taken BP meds for almost 40 years to keep mine in "normal" range to keep my flight medical current. If mine got anywhere near that high I would be concerned enough to have it checked out.

Not sure where the numbers get serious, but I would suspect you are close. Keep an eye on it, hopefully it is just a one time deal. Unfortunately so is the alternative many times. Good luck to you.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need to see a cardio guy today! You may, almost guaranteed, have blocked arteries. At that level you are (no pun) heading for a Heart incident. Regardless, no one has a normal BP at those levels naturally. I'm older than you, and in great shape, and have 5 stints.

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with high BP 15 years ago. I was young, healthy weight, and exercising and eating well. I was 180/130. Doctor said it was just hereditary, which it is for my family. I just had surgery on my hip on Monday and was actually happy to see it was only 150/80. Consult your doctor but I understand, I freakin HATE going myself. Hope all goes well.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
They have been pushing much lower blood pressure goals in recent years. Used to be, when I was a medic, they taught us the top number was "normal" at 100+(age) up to 150. Nowadays, the goals are MUCH lower, under 130 ideally, even 120. We've found after monitoring it for years that chronic, low-grade hypertension that is uncontrolled (think 140 or so) leads to more atherosclerosis ("hardening of the arteries") and thickening of the heart muscle which ends up as diastolic congestive heart failure. Not a fun condition to have. Strokes are bad news, yes, but even seemingly benign low-grade hypertension has serious long-term consequences.

SdoubleA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have a good primary doctor, schedule a med check.

I have had "white coat syndrome" for the past 60 years give or take. It has been proven to be real. Twelve years ago I was diagnosed with hbp and began daily meds for hypertension. Prior to being diagnosed my systolic readings were usually from 145 - 150. Today the ideal range most doctors desire is 120 - 130 systolic.

HBP can be hereditary. My mom suffered with it for years. The systolic readings will vary throughout the day due in part to exercise, diet, other meds being taken, stress, etc. The diastiloc numbers should remain with a given range, and are a better indication to possible problems. Also, it may be time to adjust your HBP med and perhaps add a blocker.

Give your primary a complete list of all meds being taken, especially pain meds as they can interfere with hbp as was in my case. My own script has been adjusted three or four times the past few years to maintain what is a considered normal reading range for me based on everything being considered. With hbp readings, one size does not fit all.

Make an appointment for a med check, and go from there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom