Blood pressure question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had high blood pressure since 1983 and have been treated with various medications with good control. However, my cardiologist changed my medication and it didn't control my BP, in fact it went too low so he took me off all medications after and my BP is stable with no signs of elevation. That was a year ago and so far so good, I return to the Cardio guy in March and don't expect any change.
But the OP, your BP is dangerously high and you need to seek medical help or get right with the Lord-maybe both. My sister-in-law had high BP and would accept the fact that it was high, in fact she ignored it until I told her she may have a stroke and we'd be pushing her around in a wheelchair with her drooling everywhere. She started taking BP medication.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like the problem is a new med I started, some of the things I use react oddly. The med is for my bleeding stomach.

I appreciate the concern but I am never going to have "normal BP" even with meds.

I take 4 different meds for my BP as it is, some of the doses are just crazy. But, unless I am sedated for surgery my BP is just to high.

As I said in the OP, I have been dealing with this now for almost 40 years, I have been on meds since I was 16, I will be 51 in July.

I am open to any ideas that have worked for others, but sadly I have been through most different methods of lowering BP.

The thing that had me worried was the huge difference in the numbers. For me my BP runs in the area of 170/100 with meds. If I do not use meds I run in a range of 240/130, with pain. When BP gets like that it scares me. I have had vessels in my eyes and other parts of my body pop. Not much more fun than the burning and growing a lump on my arm/leg/foot that burns like fire, until the bleeding stops. Then as the lump shrinks the blood spreads out and I have a wicked bruise, been through this for many years.

Yes I worry about having a vein pop in my skull, it is always a thing in the back of my mind. This is why I get MRI's they hope they can find a sign of an impending rupture BEFORE it pops.

Thanks for the replies, David.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your blood pressure has two numbers. The upper is called "Systolic" and the lower is called "Diastolic".

The upper pressure is when your heart contracts and the lower number is when your heart relaxes.

As said earlier, see your doctor about treatment. If your pressure is that high, it could be for a number of reasons and needs to be addressed.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your doctor can't get it under control, then you should see a Cardiologist. More than likely, they can. If you are running around at 170/100 on a routine basis, then we will all be sending our condolences to your family sooner than later. If your doctor is telling you this is the best that can be done and this is "normal for you", then you need to see someone else. It's not normal, nor is it acceptable.... that is not your heartbeat pounding in your ears, it is your timeclock.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your doctor can't get it under control, then you should see a Cardiologist. More than likely, they can. If you are running around at 170/100 on a routine basis, then we will all be sending our condolences to your family sooner than later. If your doctor is telling you this is the best that can be done and this is "normal for you", then you need to see someone else. It's not normal, nor is it acceptable.... that is not your heartbeat pounding in your ears, it is your timeclock.

I do see a cardio Dr. I see a list of Dr's and they chat with each other all the time. My time clock is ticking and I understand that, it is why I do my best to keep my BP down. One of the things I can do is keep up with my meds to keep my heart working as best as I can. Like I said this is nothing new to me, but the wide range from the high to low was different.

As I said my body does odd things with some meds. My team of Dr's have been working with me for many years and my meds get changed and swapped for several reasons.

I hope to some day find the what and why I have the heart problems I deal with, nothing on the list is good.

Also like I said I have been through many types of meds to lower my BP, when a Cardio Dr gives me a med and keeps upping the dose to a point he tells me I should be unconscious yet my BP is still to high they kind of go " huh what next".

Please folks dont think I take my BP as a joke, we are working on it and have been for many years. But when something changes I notice and ask questions.

I appreciate the concern, and hope you have no need to be sending condolences anytime soon

Latest posts

Top Bottom