concealed carry on school property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The amount of bad and dangerous answers to this short thread is frightening...some folks really need to bone up on the SDA.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't have a gun on school property, period!! In a car means the same thing. So when you pick up your daughter, you leave it where that might be.

THis answer is wrong. You can have it on school property in your car, just can't be unattended. The original poster's question is valid. What is unattended? I do not feel a vehicle is unattended if it is still in sight and you are not seperated from it by any doors/windows/fences, but the law doesn't state what "unattended" means.

I believe in other parts of the law there is a description for unattended or in the vicinity of your firearm but i can't pinpoint it.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is what I was looking for:

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle
wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense
Act to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has
concealed a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in
violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the
vehicle.

This would be one of my legal arguments if I was ever in that situation. But I usually just drop my daughter off in the loop and never leave my vehicle.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In C.,1. above it states that it can be left in the vehicle if stored in accordance to the SDA act as long as the vehicle doesn't "remain" unattended. This leaves me to believe that if you were to store it in a locked compartment such as a safe or glove box inside the locked car and walked your kid up and back, then the car didn't "remain" unattended. However, if you went in to meet with the teacher or volunteer or whatever, you'd be leaving it to "remain" unattended for a period of time and that would be a problem. I pick my daughter up some times and never carry the gun in but will not leave it in the ditch across the street either. Since there is only an empty field of farmland across from the school, that is my only choice. I understand the law as written above to say I can lock it up and walk in to grab my kiddo but that's it.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, I sometimes go read to my kid's class. When doing so, I'll be leaving the vehicle to "remain" unattended so head home to drop it off first.

It does clearly state that it's only ok to bring it on property if you're going only to transport a student

Mike101650

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is what I was looking for:

Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle
wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense
Act to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has
concealed a handgun or rifle or shotgun in such vehicle shall not be deemed in
violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the
vehicle.

This would be one of my legal arguments if I was ever in that situation. But I usually just drop my daughter off in the loop and never leave my vehicle.

FINALLY!! Someone understands the question. Thank you for furnishing this info. I am not separated from the vehicle but am out of it and maybe as far as 30 to 40 feet from it. I am going to say that that falls within the "in or near" requirement.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gun Free Zones insure that nobody will be assaulted with a firearm in these areas. Criminals know they cannot take a gun on school property. These laws are for the safety of the children. We need more and more Gun Free Zones to insure safety of Amerikan citizens. Write your legislator and ask for more Gun Free Safety Zones. As mentioned in another thread, never before in history have legislators been more prepared and responsive to insuring the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Sarcasm.

OldCurlyWolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FINALLY!! Someone understands the question. Thank you for furnishing this info. I am not separated from the vehicle but am out of it and maybe as far as 30 to 40 feet from it. I am going to say that that falls within the "in or near" requirement.

That is far enough to get busted. Maybe not convicted, but you will take the trip. In general separated means you cannot reach out and touch it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom