Do you still write checks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many checks do you write?

• None

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • 2-3 per year

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • 2-3 per month

Votes: 49 43.8%
  • 2-3 per week

Votes: 19 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was in line at Walmart the other day and noticed that an older lady in front of me was writing a check. When she was done and had left, people in line commented that they never see anyone writing checks any longer. I know that I very, very seldom write a check. In fact, the first time I had written a check in 8 months was last week at a tag agency when I was paying the excise tax and buying the tag for my new car. The tag agencies seems to be the last bastion of encouraging check writing by not taking debit cards or charging outrageous fees if you use a Discover card they reluctantly accept.

Before online bill paying, I used to write checks all the time. I remember sitting at my kitchen table writing checks, licking stamps and stuffing envelopes. If I was making a car payment, I had to be sure to include the payment stub from payment book. Now, I just schedule all my various payments via my smart phone.

What write you?

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not written a check since I got married. I have limited access to all funds outside deposits.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I write checks when my wife gives me a blank one. I get my allowance every two weeks, when I run out of that I just sit on the couch with the dog. I use plastic sometimes but always think "what if".

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pay a few bills with checks. Pay service guys, etc. with checks.

I'm usually in line wishing plagues and pestilence upon the person writing a check for some piddly amount at the store. I give octogenarians a bit of slack, but if you're under 80 years old and you're writing a check for few bucks at a store, I hate you and wish you would stop existing.

Same goes for people who pay for a $7 lunch with a credit card at a joint where everyone else is paying in cash, and we all have to wait there while they bumble and fumble and print sh*t off and make your dumb ass sign it like you're signing a 30-year mortgage on a gotdamn meatball sub. You suck and I hate you. Get money. Come back when you have money and then you may have a sandwich. You suck. You're probably reading this and already rationalizing why you pay for sandwiches with a credit card, because that's what people who suck do. Just stop now, because trust me, you suck.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm usually in line wishing plagues and pestilence upon the person writing a check for some piddly amount at the store. I give octogenarians a bit of slack, but if you're under 80 years old and you're writing a check for few bucks at a store, I hate you and wish you would stop existing.

Same goes for people who pay for a $7 lunch with a credit card at a joint where everyone else is paying in cash, and we all have to wait there while they bumble and fumble and print sh*t off and make your dumb ass sign it like you're signing a 30-year mortgage on a gotdamn meatball sub. You suck and I hate you. Get money. Come back when you have money and then you may have a sandwich. You suck. You're probably reading this and already rationalizing why you pay for sandwiches with a credit card, because that's what people who suck do. Just stop now, because trust me, you suck.

If I suck because I use a debit card to get a $1.08 32 oz drink at Quik Trip, and I ask for my printed receipt, I can live with that :P

I don't write checks. I don't even own checks. If I ever need one (once every 2 years? maybe), I get a cashier's check or money order.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

^^^This exactly!!

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use checks for a few bills and thats it. City of Sapulpa charges a $5.00 convenience fee to pay online and so I write them a check and mail it for the 50 cents or so it costs. Car payment also charges an online convenience fee so they get a check. Other than that, not much.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I suck because I use a debit card to get a $1.08 32 oz drink at Quik Trip, and I ask for my printed receipt, I can live with that :P

Today I was saddened to learn Cards sucks. :(
Quick Trip may not be as bad, because QT is a mecca for goobers, so I think the staff is pretty used to credit card abusers and therefore is fairly quick about it. Do you do this so you can deduct your Big Gulps from your taxes?

Sometimes I'll be at a lunch stop staffed by hicks that probably still has one of those manual thingys that goes "shhkkkk-chkkkk" to swipe a card, or at a Mexican joint or sub shop where some goober is trying to explain to a cashier with a limited grasp of the English language that he wants to pay with something that totally is not money. Then I'll finally get up there and the cashier will be all like "Sorry for the wait. That mang...he wanted to pay for lunch with somethings that was not monies." And then we shake our heads and laugh at that mang and wonder what the world is coming to.

Latest posts

Top Bottom