Do you still write checks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many checks do you write?

• None

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • 2-3 per year

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • 2-3 per month

Votes: 49 43.8%
  • 2-3 per week

Votes: 19 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use checks for a few bills and thats it. City of Sapulpa charges a $5.00 convenience fee to pay online and so I write them a check and mail it for the 50 cents or so it costs. Car payment also charges an online convenience fee so they get a check. Other than that, not much.

The City of Moore and OEC (Oklahoma Electrical COOP) both have an online bill payment service that charges a convenience fee. I just send them a payment via my bank account and they accept it. When I first started paying them in this method, the bank would mail them a payment in the form of a check. But over time, both have created some electronic transfer that gets used instead.

I did stumble upon an advantage of the online checks vs written checks. I was paying my home owner association dues via an online check. It gets sent to their PO Box and they claim they never saw it. They never had problems with the other payments I had sent with the same method via the same PO Box. So I go online to stop payment on the check and see the outrageous stop payment fee. I went ahead and stopped payment on the check to recover at least part of my money and sent them another payment. I followed up with my bank to complain that a large stop payment fee on an online payment was ridiculous. They said that they did not have a stop payment fee on their online checks and refunded my fees. They said they simply void an online check 10 days after sending if it is not submitted for payment.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to write a check to pay for my boat slip. It's annoying and I would move to another dock if it was as cheap and they took paypal. I'll probably be moving shortly anyways as I found a dock on Table Rock for the same price as my crappy dock on Keystone.

SABOT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been behind people at the checkout who still write checks and I allways think to myself, really does anyone even do that anymore, what a hassle.

The only check I write anymore is for rent, and that's only on rare occasion. I usally pay via debt card. I've been asking about direct deposit and when they'll be setup for it. I pay all my other bills online, including my car tag.

Oh, I remeber that when I paid for my OKC alarm permit that it had to be paid by check. Hopfully, next year I can pay online.

Last edited:

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw a sign on a gun store in Colorado last summer: We deal strictly with cash, that way there is no papertrail for the IRS to follow.
You want a gun bring cash, you want ammo bring cash, you want a refund bring your humor.

It was followed by the three cartoon charictors laughing and rolling around on the floor like the: you want it when? signs.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today I was saddened to learn Cards sucks. :(
Quick Trip may not be as bad, because QT is a mecca for goobers, so I think the staff is pretty used to credit card abusers and therefore is fairly quick about it. Do you do this so you can deduct your Big Gulps from your taxes?

Yea, I travel so much that I charge everything for work, and keep the receipts so I can expense them (even snacks and drinks I can tack onto the per diem if I don't max it out on my 3 squares). I am so used to that for work stuff that I am out of the habit of carrying much cash, even for personal purchases.

I do often pay cash for large purchases, as you can get a discount from places if you offer cash and explain why (to save the merchant the fees). I went and pulled 6 grand out at BOK last month, and the teller (just making small talk) asked if I minded sharing what I was buying. When I told him a side of beef and hardwood flooring, he look really confused :D

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I do often pay cash for large purchases, as you can get a discount from places if you offer cash and explain why (to save the merchant the fees). I went and pulled 6 grand out at BOK last month, and the teller (just making small talk) asked if I minded sharing what I was buying. When I told him a side of beef and hardwood flooring, he look really confused :D

I'd like to share those things.

Latest posts

Top Bottom