Hummingbird 2020

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha! If the shoe fits, it's usually more expensive...

We enjoyed the little fellows a lot back when Sweetie could take care of the feeder. I hung ours about a foot or so from the patio doors, and you could stand with yer nose against it (if you were still), and literally get a "bird's eye" view.
:drunk2:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never thought I’d be a ‘bird nerd’ but if the shoe fits.
I got into Purple Martins years ago. Had a nice gourd rack that would house 24 adults and they would raise their young and Id have as many as 100 martins flying around the yard before they left and went south in July. Very cool birds and I had absolutely no more wasps or yellow jackets anywhere around my 8 acres in Tuttle. They always came back to the same house if they lived through the year.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've turned into a bit of a bird nerd in the last couple of years. We've got a martin house and 4 gourds, humming bird feeder, and a couple of blue bird houses.
The hardest part is keeping the house sparrows from messing with the others; cci quiet is helping with that.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hummingbird’s are cool little critters. I’ll never forget the first time I watched one hover next to a ball of dog pecker gnats and pick them off, one by one.
And, back when I could hear, I thought their little calls were fascinating.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha! If the shoe fits, it's usually more expensive...

We enjoyed the little fellows a lot back when Sweetie could take care of the feeder. I hung ours about a foot or so from the patio doors, and you could stand with yer nose against it (if you were still), and literally get a "bird's eye" view.
:drunk2:

Years ago, we'd go camping up in Colorado and put out a hummingbird feeder. One year, I got them used to coming to the feeder with me standing by it. Then, I moved to a lounge type chair with the feeder in my hands. Once they got used to that, I took off all the perches from the feeder except for two that were opposite of each other and taped over all the feeding points but those two. Once they got used to that, I took off the last two perches and would hold the feeder with my index finger crooked out under those two open feeding points.

Little devils would land on my finger and drink. They don't weigh anything. You could only tell that they were there by seeing them and feeling a little bit of a prick from their feet on the fingers.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hummingbird’s are cool little critters. I’ll never forget the first time I watched one hover next to a ball of dog pecker gnats and pick them off, one by one.
And, back when I could hear, I thought their little calls were fascinating.
Ounce for ounce they are little bad asses. I was flying a small size battery RC helicopter in the backyard a couple of years ago. I was hovering about 10' in the air when a hummingbird flew in and lined-up nose to nose with the helicopter. I believe he was defending his space area even though he was 1/3 the size of the helicopter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom