I guess this is what you call a LABOR of LOVE!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent my whole day today after church cleaning my garden out, pruning my shrubs and pulling weeds. THEN I spent the next 6 hours cleaning my beloved pond! I love this pond but the yearly clean-up is crazy back breaking!!!

First I have to drain the pond completely ( that is the easy part )!

next I have to clean out all the rocks and sediment! THAT is the nasty part....

then I have to get it almost completely empty and use towels and wipe out all the BLACK sludge!

After all this is said and done I have to clean out all my filters and rinse the liner really good.

then drain the pond empty again to get the rest of the water somewhat clear.

The I have to rinse and scrub all the stones in the bottom that develop all the algae and crap throughout the season.

THEN I finally fill the pond again and use a fine mesh net to catch all the small particles and grass, ect that got back in.

BUT in the end it is worth it, this is my pride and joy!

photobucket-1617-1335140361681.jpg

photobucket-1646-1335140274904.jpg

photobucket-2799-1335140345835.jpg

photobucket-14947-1335140310741.jpg

SHE is a 160gal pond with $200 pump and filter system
the fountain cost me $400 from statuary world (and that was the cheap one!)
The liner is one of the thickest made to help keep from ripping and getting any holes

The total investment cost me $1,000 with pump, liner, fountain, rocks, and lanscape flat stones.

WHAT do you guys think?????????????

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats really nice Jeff!!

Very cool!!!!!

THANK YOU SIR!!!!!!!!! I appreciate the compliment.

I had some Koi fish in it until the guy who does our yard care got to close to the pond with his fertilizer and it killed all of them!!!! I HAD OVER $100 IN FISH ALONE!
The guy was very honest and admited it in a written note (he could have said nothing because my wife and I were both gone to work when it happened and we wouldn't have know). Later that evening the guy came by and was soooooo apologetic and offered to pay for it out of his own pocket! He said the company would pay, but he would probably lose his job. I felt bad for him and thanked him for being honest about it. So I told him not to worry about it and I have not had fish in it since. But this year I may buy some more and put back in there. Who knows....

dugby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. I am sure impressed by you and your yard guy doing the right thing when it was not easy.

It would have ended much more poorly for a lot of other small minded people. Hope you enjoy your fish.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow. I am sure impressed by you and your yard guy doing the right thing when it was not easy.

It would have ended much more poorly for a lot of other small minded people. Hope you enjoy your fish.

Thank you, I have been where he is. My wife and I have not always had great jobs we love and made good money like we do now. I have done my many, many years of tedious labor under the sun for 8-12 hours a day for just enough money to pay the bills and feed th kids. It took a man of great integrity to admit to that mistake when he knew what it could cost him in the end. I admire anyone who is willing to do what is right, and not what is easy!

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CJ, My fathers coi pond is full of large fish that spawn and leave tons of babies mid summer. which he has been giving away for about 6 years now. if you have any desire to come to tulsa then I'm sure he would give you quite a few. You want me to ask?

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sister had a pond that had coi in it. Things kept going wrong and the fish would end up dead. She got tired of spending the scratch on the coi, so she started stocking her pond with Goldfish bought at the bait shop.
Without being in a small tank the goldfish get as big as Coi, some of them were fancy goldfish with lots of colors and looked about as good as Coi. And wouldn't you know it, the cheap carp were almost un-killable!

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CJ, My fathers coi pond is full of large fish that spawn and leave tons of babies mid summer. which he has been giving away for about 6 years now. if you have any desire to come to tulsa then I'm sure he would give you quite a few. You want me to ask?

I appreciate the offer tyromeo. You are a great guy and always trying to help someone out! I probably wont be getting up that way for some time and even when I do I usually stay for a couple days with my wife for a weekend alone. Anyways thanks for the offer to help, but I will probably go with the cheapo goldfish. They are not as pretty, but cheap and very, very hardy fish. Thanks all..............

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy had a pond about that size, but instead of coi or goldfish, we stocked it with fish we caught at the lake. By the time he sold the place last year, we had catfish, bass, crappie and bluegill. It was pretty amazing how well they flourished in the little pond. The only ones we ever lost were a couple of sandbass we put in there one afternoon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom