I guess this is what you call a LABOR of LOVE!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My sister had a pond that had coi in it. Things kept going wrong and the fish would end up dead. She got tired of spending the scratch on the coi, so she started stocking her pond with Goldfish bought at the bait shop.
Without being in a small tank the goldfish get as big as Coi, some of them were fancy goldfish with lots of colors and looked about as good as Coi. And wouldn't you know it, the cheap carp were almost un-killable!

I have seen this too. My grandfather had a small pond before he passed and one year a flock of birds ate them all. He went to Walmart and bought some goldfish that lived for many years. Some grew pretty large and the fancies looked great.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to see another pond lover here...Mine is a 3500 gallon concrete Koi pond(With over a dozen Koi - most 14"-18"). Depth is close to 4' and it has 2 waterfalls with 3 total filters.

I have a company clean it twice a year, it's nasty at the bottom!

i29.photobucket.com_albums_c253_jasondcunningham_photo_1_9.jpg

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKCShooter said:
Glad to see another pond lover here...Mine is a 3500 gallon concrete Koi pond(With over a dozen Koi - most 14"-18"). Depth is close to 4' and it has 2 waterfalls with 3 total filters.

I have a company clean it twice a year, it's nasty at the bottom!

Man you got way more cheddar than me. Lol. I can't afford something that nice on a school teachers salary. Oh well mine is much, much, easier to clean. Lol.

cooljeff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
cheese79 said:
I have been looking at doing something like this. do the fish help keep it clean at all or would you still have to drain it and clean it each year?

They do help some. It all depends on the your putting in. fine gold fish are very dirty, but the sucker or placostamis (probably not spelled right). These fish actually clean all the algae. That is how they survive. The big ones do a really good job keeping it clean.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been looking at doing something like this. do the fish help keep it clean at all or would you still have to drain it and clean it each year?

Still needs to be cleaned...A lot of the junk at the bottom is fish poop and general deitrous (sp?)

If you don't care about the clarity you can get by without really ever cleaning it...it'll just get dark and look dirty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom