Idiot Cyclist on Riverparks Trail with two dogs...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was walking two of my dogs, both on short leashes with pinch collars, on the Riverparks trail near the Tulsa Tech Center on 111th in south Tulsa. We were heading west down a straight stretch of the trail, having just descended a hill, when suddenly a middle-aged man and a teenaged boy flew right past us on their bikes, followed by two unleashed Labs running flat out. The dogs passed on either side of us, and startled my two dogs and myself. My heart was pounding from the sudden shock, and I watched as the dogs criss-crossed the path in pursuit of the cyclists. This happened near where I was parked, so after we got back to my car, I drove on ahead to the next parking lot and waited for the cyclists. They arrived a few minutes later at a slow pace, and I stepped out, smiling, and asked if the Labs were their dogs. When they told me yes, I asked why the dogs were not on leashes. The older man waved a training collar remote and said, "They're on a leash." I asked how it was fair for his dogs to run all across the path off-leash, while I had my dogs on short leashes on one side of the path. "They're on a LEASH," was the terse answer, again with a waving of the remote. He also added, "If I put my dogs on a leash, I can't ride my bike." To which I said, "Then leave your dogs at home. That's what I do when I ride my bike, because it's the responsible thing to do." At this point, he made a dismissive gesture and made to ride around me, but I stepped out in front and said, "I'm sorry, but you're not being considerate or responsible. You need to have your dogs on a real leash before they cause an issue." "They're ON A LEASH!" was the response, with the obligatory waving of the remote. The kid stepped off his bike and put his hand on my chest and said, "Get out of the way." The man motioned for the kid to back off, and steered his bike around me, and they took off. I watched as they crossed the road, and made their way to the pond in front of Grace Fellowship. After the dogs had a dip, they ran back out onto the trail in front of their owners, and off they went.

I was not happy, to say the least. All I could think was, what if the dogs had been approaching from the other direction, running flat out? That's enough to upset a lot of dogs, and if a cyclist was going the other way, what guarantee does he have that one of the dogs won't run out in front of him?

Was I wrong to tell him that? Putting aside all questions of personal safety during a confrontation, that is. Just the morality of riding a bike fast with a pair of dogs running unleashed after you, criss-crossing the trail - do you folks think that's acceptable behavior on the Riverparks trails?

P35

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
irresponsible people do not care about rules or what you think. call the POLICE , Tulsa has a leash law, ... low life is everywhere

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't fix stupid.

It will take one of their dogs getting injured (hit by a bike, attacked by another dog, running into the street chasing a sqirrell) before they get it. Even then, it will be someone else's fault.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Were the dogs well trained? What kind of dogs were they?

They looked like black Labs, but I have no idea how well-trained they were. That's my point - we Riverparks Trail users don't know these dogs, and the owner can't provide a reasonable guarantee the dogs won't cause an issue while running flat-out off-leash.

I hope the cyclist reads this, or an OSA member who knows him sees this and can talk to him. Then maybe he'll realize my point and not just wave that remote around like it's a magical talisman.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See stupid people doing stupid things on the trails all the time, as indicated earlier, you can't fix stupid, good luck with your effort to try...

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If there was no harm and you let your piece by known, I would let it go. I try to not to be confrontational, but I can be. If nothing happened just let it go. Hopefully, the bad jujus that are coming his way don't affect you.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The kid puts his hand on the wrong person and we'll read about it in the newspaper instead of okshooters.

I'd be careful with that, the OP started the confrontation. From the sounds of it he tried to press his point when it was obvious the guy didn't have the capacity to understand it, sometimes you have to know when to walk away. The kid put his hands on him after he stepped in front of the cyclist to block his path. Not defending the cyclist at all, but I ride, and I carry while I do, some guy gets in my face to make his point when by my account I am minding my own business we will have issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom