Idiot Cyclist on Riverparks Trail with two dogs...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Droberts

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fewer people are attacked by pit bulls than by spaniels and retrievers, but "Golden Retriever attacks child" doesn't get our attention as much as "pit bull attacks child"

4.bp.blogspot.com__y6HVxOQDU2Y_T8wA0rWHKpI_AAAAAAAAAhk_lqx4xB62ade638062710d33e99e3969fc20a1b7.jpg

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-study-dog-attacks-and-maimings-merritt-clifton.php

from the study it looks like pit bull to golden retriever attack ratio is about 197 to 1.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Fewer people are attacked by pit bulls than by spaniels and retrievers, but "Golden Retriever attacks child" doesn't get our attention as much as "pit bull attacks child"

DogsBite.org Releases 3-Year Fatality Study: U.S. Dog Bite Fatalities January 2006 to December 2008

The report shows that 19 dog breeds contributed to 88 fatalities. Pit bulls accounted for 59% of these deaths, the second leading breed, rottweilers, accounted for 14%.

Download Study

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, this thread certainly has mutated from my OP. Just to clarify, I wasn't worried about the dogs biting anyone - they seemed to be pretty laid back. My concern was how they ran flat out and criss-crossed the path while running. It's easy to see how they could cause a jogger or a cyclist coming the other way to have an incident. Then for the fellow to dodge the issue of the fairness of letting his dogs run off-leash while other park goers keep their dogs leashed, claiming all the time that his dogs "are on a leash" while waving a electronic training remote. Yes, I could have handled the situation differently, but at least now he knows someone took issue with his cavalier attitude toward the responsibilities of handling a dog while in public. If it saves a jogger or cyclist from having an accident in the future because an unleashed dog ran across the path, I'd say it was worth the risks involved.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can appreciate your frustration Todd and I think most people here agrees that the dude wasn't following rules and it could have led to an accident.

That said... I have lowered my expectation of people and feel no need to do anything other than shake my head at their stupidity these days. If I were to get worked up about it or let it bother me, then I have allowed them to rent space in my head and to actaully affect me beyond their initial stupid act. I won't give them that power to do so...

Get your Zen on brother and don't give it one more second of thought.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can appreciate your frustration Todd and I think most people here agrees that the dude wasn't following rules and it could have led to an accident.

That said... I have lowered my expectation of people and feel no need to do anything other than shake my head at their stupidity these days. If I were to get worked up about it or let it bother me, then I have allowed them to rent space in my head and to actaully affect me beyond their initial stupid act. I won't give them that power to do so...

Get your Zen on brother and don't give it one more second of thought.

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom