Litte blood on the arrow question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I though i cleanly shot my first doe this am, but when i looked at the arrow it appeared clean. This was at 830 am. Now i look at my arrows and i can clearly see clear fluid on the arrow that is slightly red. There is also a small piece of fat on the broad head.

Would this have been a lung shot. The arrow has no odor and didnt when i first retrieved it. Im leaving in a few mnutes to search the area. Upon not seeing any blood when i initially picked up the arrow i headed home.

kcatto

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of times when I am bowhunting... over the last few years (since I was about 10yrs old) the arrows are not covered in blood..... unless you use real feather fletchings as they will lay down against the shaft kinda matted if this makes sense..... Arrows create a blood channel and the animal has to bleed out... depending on the shot placement and the hardiness of the critter shot. Then you have the ones that always are the hardest to find.... when you get a lung heart lung shot for example and they bleed out into the chest cavity, leaving no visible blood trail.... If I was you I would start from the shot and track in the direction of travel, looking for more than blood signs.... because meat on broad head usually means meta on table....

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what you described, sounds like your shot may be a little off of what you thought. Sounds like a muscle hit to me. If it were a little high, coulda gotten in strap, or forward and have been shoulder. If it was high and in the body cavity, may not find much blood for a while till the cavity fills to point of impact. Low cavity shots seem to leave a trail quicker since the level of blood in the cavity meets the wound quicker. Regardless, hope you find it. They can't all be perfect shots!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since the deer has been there for awhile, look for birds like crows or vultures in the area when you first get there......Thats how I found a lost one last year.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where were you in relation to the doe? If you were above her then the arrow would have traveled downward which tends to drip blood to the ground faster.

Go to where she was standing and hunt for clues like hair,blood or tissue. What was the deers reaction and did she spook or just trot off?

Did you hear anything after she left? Did she return the way she came from after the shot? Go very slow on your search and get down on your hands & knees looking for tiny bits of blood spatter & sign. Good luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom