OKC Civic Center

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So is the OKC Civic Center considered a government building doing business with the public? If they aren't, will they be patting down or running metal detectors tonight? I hate that part of town after dark.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Veggie,

They have a "No Concealed Weapons" sign on the doors. There are no metal detectors/pat downs. It is a city building doing business with the public. It is across the street from three police buildings. There are cops everywhere... but.. it is also a scary part of town with lots of homeless folks around.

B

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is the Civic Center "doing business with the public"??? Do people go there to pay their water bill or something? Or is ballet a public utility now?

Edited to add: if they are private, then they have the freedom to post no weapons signs. However, if they are purely city owned and operated, I wouldn't think they could. That being said, the Civic Center is a hybrid entity, with capital improvements funded by public taxes (e.g. MAPS) but with a private Foundation supporting most of the arts activities there.

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Civic Center Music Hall is a city owned and run building that rents to other groups like the OKC Philharmonic and Canterbury Chorale and Lyric Theater. They also sponsor their own concerts and events and do business with the public. I work there regularly, but am not an employee of the city.

b

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess my point is putting on concerts isn't covered by the spirit of the law. "Doing business with the public" was meant to cover going to City Hall to pay your water bill, etc. The problem is cites can and often do branch out into other areas. The Legislature could(should) fix this with some clarification in the state code.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up parking across the street from the cop shop and just left it in the glove box, since I wasn't sure who actually put on the concert.

Because the way that I interpret "doing business with the public" is if money is changing hands directly between you and the city. Since I didn't know if this was a concert that was put on by the city or an outside promoter that leased the facility, I figured with all the badges I saw that I might as well not bother.

That said, I was more worried about printing than usual without my gun, because the top of the leather gets pushed out by my fat belly when the holster is empty. In other words, you would swear up and down that I had a gun when my holster is empty and never notice the XD45 when it's there. I just kept my jacket over it as best I could.

By the way, I had never been without a gun in that Crossbreed QuikClip for more than a few minutes before. The kydex really digs into your thigh when you don't have a gun in there to keep your flesh pushed down.

And on another note... Mannheim Steamroller is extremely cheesy and wasn't worth the $45 my mom paid for the ticket, in my opinion.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I Guess I Just Never Worry, I Mean The Bad Guys Dont Care Or Worry Either Do They?

My Thing Is If They Are Patting Down Or There Is A Metal Detector I Just Step Out Of Line With My Ticket, Walk Back To The Car And Secure The Weapon. Otherwise If The Weapon Is Concealed Like It Should Be Then No One Should Know You Are Carrying.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the way that I interpret "doing business with the public" is if money is changing hands directly between you and the city.

Several months ago I talked to the Director of the OKC Airport Trust (Will Rogers Airport) about this and he is of the opinion that it doesn't have to be money going from the public directly to the city. They rent the airport to airlines an vendors of various types and they consider that to be "doing business with the public"

Naturally that is the opinion they would have but I don't think this was th intent of the law and I agree it needs to be addressed. If you took his logic to the extreme you couldn't carry in any of the parking garages, bus stations, arts festival, etc. you get the point.

BC

YukonHunter

Marksman
Reaction score
With that logic, anyplace that collects sales tax or provides services that are taxed is doing business with the public. So even my property is a place doing business with the public since I pay property tax. I can't even carry at home :( why did I bother getting my CCW?

Latest posts

Top Bottom