Prarie Dog Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loads of fun! Just getting harder to find them. We used to make a trip every Memorial Day weekend. The pups were just coming out of the holes good around then. They would just stand there and watch as you blew up their buddies. If you were patient, you could double or tripple on the right shot. Had more fun shooting them with a 22LR than anything. Shot some last year in Colorado. If you get a chance, try it. It can be a very expensive hunt. You will come back wanting to build a heavy barreled super acurate 22something, with all the bells and whistles to take with you the next time......

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Loads of fun! Just getting harder to find them. We used to make a trip every Memorial Day weekend. The pups were just coming out of the holes good around then. They would just stand there and watch as you blew up their buddies. If you were patient, you could double or tripple on the right shot. Had more fun shooting them with a 22LR than anything. Shot some last year in Colorado. If you get a chance, try it. It can be a very expensive hunt. You will come back wanting to build a heavy barreled super acurate 22something, with all the bells and whistles to take with you the next time......

this is what I have heard. This is on my short list of things to do.

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

this is what I have heard. This is on my short list of things to do.

LOL It was on my list for a LONG time and has finally been completed. Went with my fav P-doog round, 22-250. I cant wait to get out to my honey hole and try it out on them.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been to Kansas and Montana shooting them. Both great hunts, averaged 150-200 rounds per day. Ranges anywhere from 25yd to 600yds. I shoot a Savage model 12 bull barrel in .223 with a leupold 4.5-15-40 on it. Shooting dogs will make you a much better rifle shot for sure. Definitly plan on going next spring now that I am closer and can drive instead of fly. I will never forget my first dog. That little sucker popped out at around 25yds. I got excited and forgot i was sighted in at 200yds and fired a round about 6ft over his head. He just sat there so i put the cross hairs on the bottom of the mound and turned him to mist. If your gonna go shoot the Hornady Vmax with the red plastic tip. Dogs will explode!!!! Anybody that wants to go next year we ought to get together and plan a hunt. Gets even cheaper if you have a good sized group.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went on Memorial Day weekend a couple years ago and me and my son kept track of our hits. We killed over 1,000 in 3 days of shooting. We went through a lot of rounds and had a ball. Sadly, those dogs got poisoned out last year.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Growing up we'd wrestle calves for local ranchers during branding in the late spring, early summer. We'd all pack a .22 or whatever and when we were done, most of the ranchers would turn us loose on the prairie dogs. We'd blast the hell out of them. We found you can go through a lot of ammo over a month or so during the branding season.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL It was on my list for a LONG time and has finally been completed. Went with my fav P-doog round, 22-250. I cant wait to get out to my honey hole and try it out on them.

I'm a big 22-250 fan myself. 40 grain Hornady vmax on coons or possums is my experience so far, and they are devastating. Gotta get out there on the pdogs.:scream:

Latest posts

Top Bottom