Precious Metal stacking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capnkirk462

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get that @capnkirk462 but by the time you add up all your shoeboxes to get 10,000 rounds that’s 20 shoeboxes for just the 5.56. Add to that 9mm, 45ACP, .308, 12 gauge and so on you’d be talking 120-150 shoeboxes in no time and that’s a LOT of shoeboxes…..would put my wife to shame. 😂😂
I am actually really worried about my floor giving out. I have a good amount, not huge. The damn 7.62x54r was packed in the boxes with plastic strips that hold the ammo and that is a space hog. I thought for a while just stacking all of it in the front room and throwing a cover on it and calling it a coffee table.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m wondering where you guys with pallets of ammunition are storing it all? 10,000 rounds of 5.56, .308, 45ACP, 9MM and 22LR would be quite the pile.
I don't shoot .308 or 9mm. Under bed, ammo boxes in closet, metal book shelf in reloading room. Doesn't take up much room. 10k each of .223, .45ACP and .22LR will fit under bed.

I have been investing in precious metals, brass and lead, for years. Stacking since '08 Odumbo fiasco. 10k of .22LR for $204. 1k of .223 for $159. 1k .45ACP for $230. Value has definitely risen. I was "investing" $200 / month during the Odumbo years. Ammo, brass, primers, powder, bullets; may never more, probably never run out. Other calibers are not at 10k level, but well over 1k, with reloading.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am actually really worried about my floor giving out. I have a good amount, not huge. The damn 7.62x54r was packed in the boxes with plastic strips that hold the ammo and that is a space hog. I thought for a while just stacking all of it in the front room and throwing a cover on it and calling it a coffee table.

Oh, the struggles of a first world, but second rate gun dealer. 😉

Here’s a pic I found that might be food for thought on ammo storage:
IMG_4616.jpeg

SNAKE PLISSKEN

"The name is Plissken"
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does one trade silver or gold for ammo and food? I've always wondered.
Does one carve off a chunk of silver or gold for a loaf of bread?
How does that work?
It's smart to buy fractional gold and siver like silver dimes and quarters or grams of gold. The premium is a little higher but it's a lot cheaper to buy a gram of gold that an ounce of gold.

wylie

New to the site!
Reaction score
How does one trade silver or gold for ammo and food? I've always wondered.
Does one carve off a chunk of silver or gold for a loaf of bread?
How does that work?

You can get 1/10 ounce gold coins as well there is a credit card size, shape of 1 oz gold that is perforated 10 1/10 ounce chunks. Also silver coins are much more exchangeable for cheaper stuff. Good to stock up on the copper and brass stuff too but why not cover as many bases as you can ?

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many folks put all their eggs in one basket. I hear the bravado of bullets will get you everything you need. That should include getting dead too. If you think you’re just gonna take what you need by force you need to remember that the person you’re going to take from is going to use the same force you have to keep it.

The better strategy is to have some of each. Gold and silver will still have their value as will, ammo, nails, hammers and beans. I have what I think my family will need as well as barter/trade items.

I stacked gold and silver decades ago. Haven’t added to it since then. Never viewed it as an investment to cash in and reap gains off of. It’s just part of my barter strategy. Need a hammer and nails? What do you got to trade? Need beans? Got those too. Even got five gallons of honey in pint jars to sweeten up a deal. Never put all your eggs in one basket…

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Precious metals are for wealth preservation, not necessarily investment. And I always shake my head at those that say "you can't eat silver", or "if SHTF, no one is going to trade anything for gold", and so on. It's not about being useful during a collapse, it's for building stability after. Having metals if there is a collapse is excellent insurance for when the dust clears, and a new system is born. Gold has value in every currency, world-wide, and has for centuries.

In Weimar Germany, I'm pretty certain that those who had gold that "wasn't worth anything" during their depression came out smelling like a rose after the recovery - or at least were much, much better off than those who didn't.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been messing with metals for awhile. After watching the prices for many years, I do wonder if the gold and sliver prices can get any higher without a major catastrophe. Not talking about a home market crash, but like major civil upheaval.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just remember when they go all digital you will pay tax when you sell your gold or silver.
Digital currency = Tax everything

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How is that all digital going to work for those that do not have cell phones or credit cards or even use a bank.
There are many out there.

I hope it never comes to that .
I hope it is like the old magazine articles from the 60's talking about everyone having flying cars in the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom