Precious Metal stacking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well you wouldn’t be rich but this is golds wheelhouse. No one has gold in Argentina .

Have you heard of the California gold rush of 1850? No currency they traded in gold dust and jewelers made gold tokens.

Heres what it’s worth in USD. The dollar would look like this vs gold below on a collapse IMO
IMG_3516.jpeg
If you had gold you could buy food.
IMG_3519.png
Here’s a 2018 article on gold in Venezuela

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greats...-gold-in-venezuela-right-now/?sh=1c86a1f75fd2

Last edited:

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, I get what you are saying. Gold is worth the price of gold anywhere in the world. And exactly how much good did that gold do for Argentina in 2022? 70 percent inflation then? 140 percent inflation so far?
View attachment 441465

I mean I understand that people feel good because they have some wealth on hand, but if the store doesn't take it or have change for it, it's no good. I would have no use for gold in an economic crisis and wouldn't take it. I can't eat it, I can't use it to defend my family and without an international banking system, it's worthless to me. To think that the banks will still be open in a true crisis is foolish in my opinion. Yeah, you can buy stuff internationally but get it shipped here with disrupted supply chains. Business will not go on as usual if a crisis occurs.
Yep. Some folks are forgetting how suddenly ammunition and toilet paper, for examples, suddenly got scarce and expensive. If you have enough gold, you might be able to get stuff you need. IF you know someone who has the means to go and get it, and bring it to you. In exchange for a bunch of that gold.

I wonder how hard it would be to cast bullets in gold... It's about the same density as uranium, which was used in the 30mm cannon rounds for the GAU-8 gun system on the A-10 Warthog. Lead is quite a bit less dense. Silver is fairly close in density, but I understand it's a great deal harder than lead, so makes lousy bullets. Silver melts at a much higher temperature than lead, so you're not casting silver bullets over a campfire. Gold melts at a much higher temperature than gold.

Probably good that I can sort of afford some lead, but not silver or gold. Nor much of anything more exotic than those. Franklin Horton describes some of the things that would be necessary for even well-connected folks to get the necessities and a few luxuries in some of his The Mad Mick stories on Amazon's Kindle. c

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay I get it only mad max happens in your world. In that case you better know how to hunt and fish, stealth would be your friend.

I lived 2 years hunting and fishing in the early 90s, making just enough to be freezing or hot as hell renting a small house. The judge let me keep $500ish.
Man was I rich when I got my full paycheck and kids.

What youve described you need guards people would kill for a few fish.

Reading historical books like the story of Joseph there was food but you had to have assets to make it through. Supply Chain will collapse for a time but it’ll come back

Even in venezuela there’s food but no one has money anymore they’ve sold all the family jewelry they had.

Sometimes it might be better to die than stave but whole third world countries seen to do it everyday. You get nuked you’ll never know 🤷‍♂️

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...lan-stores-better-take-dollars-idUSKCN1N51PN/

https://halturnerradioshow.com/inde...ican-retailers-refusing-u-s-dollars-solo-peso

IMG_3521.jpeg

Last edited:

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gold/silver ARE the money, even now. Some just don't remember/don't learn from history/haven't figured that out yet. Fiat currency is a CONfidence game. When the confidence dies, the CON ends.

Question: How high will gold/silver go?
Answer: How low will the dollar (all fiat) go?
The opposite of zero is infinity. Measured in fiat, gold/silver price will be infinity. No one will take dollars for their gold/silver. You'll have to trade them something else.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay I get it only mad max happens in your world.
No, not mad max. Just a realist that the inhabitants of the major metropolitan areas are going to raise a ruckus and those trucking companies probably aren't gonna be shipping stuff to small stores anytime soon. I mean, they took over an entire city over a shooting. Or blocked a street in Tulsa and tried to kill a man and burn his horse in the trailer. Imagine what will happen when their benefits run out and the SNAP/EBT cards don't work anymore.

But given your thoughts on rebuilding wealth after, crypto seems like it would be more useful overall. If I had gold, I'd probably would have sold it to buy bitcoin long ago.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man I’d be worried if I didn’t have PMs, Crypto 🤣, or Paper money, While living in a city. Doesn’t sound like a plan for me.

Too bad my 50 year hobby turned into pictures. Don’t get visitation much
1703987340811.gif

Last edited:

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to joke around telling friends and family "I know there is a twenty dollar gold piece on my land some old farmer lost back in the day, I just need find it!"

When I find it, I could not sell it, the value of the find would be worth more than the monetary value.

There was a time I considered buying some, I think the Valcambi Combibars are neat.

But really I do not see much value in having lots of (my) cash tied up in gold.

I do not like the idea of having to pay a premium to buy it or sell it. Or that places wanting to know my personal info to buy it.

When bitcoin first came out I liked the idea of a currency that thumbed its nose at governments. But its market price swings and crazy means of aquiring / disposing of it turned me off.

I want to see a currency that can be; 1) Private, 2) Bought / spent as easily as cash (must be accepted everywhere without a premium), and 3) Value remained consistent!

If you could exchange cash / checks for metals at the local bank / local store without premiums that would be dandy.

It would not hurt my feelings any to see the monatary system back on a gold standard, but not sure that it is possible with the worlds wealth and the amount of metals in existance.

In the end of the day I think currency should be tied to something physical.

In the end of the day one pound of organic carrots is still a pound of carrots, one pound of milled pine lumber is still one pound of milled pine lumber.

I guess my utopia would be that that dollar your grand parent gave you for your fifth birthday would buy the same item on your one hundredth birthday.

Also while on the subject of money that the borrower always be slave to the lender (saver).
By that I mean interest rates for the depositor should always be higher than inflation (if we have to have inflation), none of this bs .01% interest!

Latest posts

Top Bottom