The "Gimme Generation" - Warning! Rant ahead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha ha. Except the even when tort reform is in place, the malpractice carriers do not reduce their premiums. A lot of docs got bamboozled by that line.

Why would they not reduce their premiums if the chances of a doctor getting sued go down? If even one malpractice carrier decreased rates all of them would have to follow suit to remain competitive would they not?

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why would they not reduce their premiums if the chances of a doctor getting sued go down? If even one malpractice carrier decreased rates all of them would have to follow suit to remain competitive would they not?

Malpractice insurance has few regulations on it, most insurances use it to pad the bottom line.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Granted, but how long would it take any given carrier to exploit a competitive advantage in the presence of tort reform?

First of all, insurance companies rarely ever lower premiums. Secondly, doctors are almost pathological in their fear of lawsuits. The insurance companies know that and charge accordingly.

I don't sue doctors at all. In fact, I have just as many physician friends as I do attorney friends.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Okay JB, if you go down to any emergence room in the state I promise you. You will find Illegal aliens receiving care. They have no intention on paying the bill there for it gets passed on the rest of us. It is my understanding that they cannot refuse treatment.

Sometimes, in triage, the first thing out of there mouth is "I don't have insurance".Last year, at our hospital, almost 60%+ of billing for new births was to Sooner Care and Medicaid( this is typical at any hospital).We are a Catholic hospital and turn no one away.People use our ER as their PCP.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all, insurance companies rarely ever lower premiums.

Isn't this because of ever increasing demand as opposed to a decreased demand as a result of some sort of magic tort reform elixir though? It only makes good business sense to not reduce prices in the face of rising demand, but what about in the face of falling demand?

Secondly, doctors are almost pathological in their fear of lawsuits. The insurance companies know that and charge accordingly.

Would they still be so pathologically afraid if they felt better protected?

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't this because of ever increasing demand as opposed to a decreased demand as a result of some sort of magic tort reform elixir though? It only makes good business sense to not reduce prices in the face of rising demand, but what about in the face of falling demand?

Would they still be so pathologically afraid if they felt better protected?

No, the insurance companies start in on them early. Look, doctors are going to make mistakes. When they do, they should have malpractice insurance that covers them. Most of you guys agree that people should have auto liability insurance, so what is the difference?

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, the insurance companies start in on them early. Look, doctors are going to make mistakes. When they do, they should have malpractice insurance that covers them. Most of you guys agree that people should have auto liability insurance, so what is the difference?

I never advocated that they should not have adequate coverage, I simply asked if that same level of coverage wouldn't be cheaper if they didn't get sued as often. Don't get me wrong, malpractice carriers aren't the only thing jacking up the cost of medical care. Perhaps we should allow for competition across state lines, transition away from an employer based system to a portable system ,and shorten the patent life for new drugs as well as make it harder to sue a doctor for not practicing defensive medicine.

EDIT: While we're at it we can eliminate "first dollar" coverage on affordable over the counter meds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom