This could get interesting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to think since, like it or not, the Affordable Care Act and the mandates ('essential health benefits') that come along with it are what we're getting - that there could be some pragmatism shown from both sides.

The "government hand in the free market" argument holds no water because there are multiple 'essential health benefits' coming by 2014. You can't single out birth control. The "other people paying for it" argument doesn't work either. Neither does the "it's not a medical necessity" argument.

Really, the religious argument is the only one that has any ground to stand on whatsoever, even if it is a bit shaky in my opinion. Again, some compromise and pragmatism could end solve this, but hey - inaction and screaming are much more fun.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding why this is even a big deal. You have Catholic organizations which have never offered coverage for this. The Gov passes mandatory health care laws, That 99% of the people on here are against. The Catholic Church stands up against the Gov on something you didnt want either but somehow the Church is the bad guy? You dont want the Gov telling you what you can or cant do, but your fine with it telling the Catholic Church what it can and cant do ?

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding why this is even a big deal. You have Catholic organizations which have never offered coverage for this. The Gov passes mandatory health care laws, That 99% of the people on here are against. The Catholic Church stands up against the Gov on something you didnt want either but somehow the Church is the bad guy.

Because what happened in the past is not what's gonna happen in the future, whether we like it or not. Here's a short list of other mandated coverage:

Ambulatory patient services
Emergency services
Hospitalization
Maternity and newborn care
Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment
Prescription drugs
Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
Laboratory services
Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management, and
Pediatric services, including oral and vision care

If I was a woman, and was watching everyone else get covered for everything else under the sun because the government said they deserve it and it's required of insurers to provide it, I'd feel a bit cheated if they wouldn't cover reproductive health choices made between doctor and patient.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of those services are for illnesses or medically necessary services. I'm sorry, but having unprotected sex is a choice. The Church should not be required to provide something that is for personal pleasure, and I don't want to pay for someone else either. This is a no brainer.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding why this is even a big deal. You have Catholic organizations which have never offered coverage for this. The Gov passes mandatory health care laws, That 99% of the people on here are against. The Catholic Church stands up against the Gov on something you didnt want either but somehow the Church is the bad guy? You dont want the Gov telling you what you can or cant do, but your fine with it telling the Catholic Church what it can and cant do ?

It's more like the .gov wants the businesses operated by the church to provide complete health coverage to the employees of the business. I also find it hard to believe that there aren't more than a few Catholic women who are using hormonal birth control for their choice of birth control method.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All of those services are for illnesses or medically necessary services. I'm sorry, but having unprotected sex is a choice. The Church should not be required to provide something that is for personal pleasure, and I don't want to pay for someone else either. This is a no brainer.

I don't see how it's fine for the government to mandate that insurers cover substance abuse treatment for a drug addict and not mandate they cover women's health. And again, birth control is used for reasons other than preventing pregnancy. I've known women that took it for endometriosis. And I don't think it's right for a third party to grille women over it either. If their doctor prescribes it, and the woman wants it - is should be covered (again, in the Obamacare world of all kinds of other mandates).

Just seems to be a big gap there. "Hi, I'm the government, and you have the right to all kinds of health care and prescription drug coverage, much of it superfluous - so we've passed a law requiring that it be provided to each and every one of you. Unless you're a woman."

Last edited:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

It's not like they aren't covering hormonal birth control already, they just won't cover it if it's prescribed for birth control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom