Tired of being un-fit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vamoose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any advice, suggestions or anything else would be great. Like the title says, this isn't about being skinny, or looking good so much as it is about hitting 30, and then 40 and still being able to chase my kids around the yard, and hike into the mountains with them. I excused myself in the past because I wasn't "obese" but I'm darn sure not fit. Fit is the goal.

Thanks.

The same urge hit me at around 29. I got into the best shape of my life by running. (Except for the shape I was in after basic and AIT.) I loved that mid-run feeling. It was almost like floating and it was highly addictive. But my knees started giving out after a year or two and I had to stop. That's when I discovered rowing. Rowing on a rowing machine. A decent rowing machine isn't all that expensive, they don't take up much space and they satisfy Rule #1, Cardio, every bit as well as running.

Grats on making the decision and best of luck to you!

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to continue to lose weight through strictly diet. Minimally down to 190 lbs before you start putting the stress on your knees and joints. Once your metabolism slows down due to the reduced calories, start SLOWLY with exercising so you don't plateau. Remember everything is a slow process. Weight loss is a science. I would recommend staying away from a fitness instructor or personal trainer at this point and instead seeing a true professional such as a dietitian. Diet will be 85% of the battle and fortunately it is also the easiest part. Keep up the good work!

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a member of the over 60 crowd who got tired of hurting knees and an occasional aching back, due to too much weight. This was about a year ago. For the first 11 months, I did nothing but walk and watch my diet. That got rid of about 40 pounds, mostly off my midline.

I was stuck at a plateau, so I joined a gym about a month ago, Gold's, to work on more toning and further weight control. I've discovered that several of my muscle groups, especially above the waist, were lacking. I'm not loosing weight nearly so quickly, maybe 3# in the past month, but I'm toning up muscles that probably never were in good shape. I feel a 1000% better than I did a month ago. I've discovered I actually have chest muscles and some overall muscle definition.

Be smart about it; don't do more than what you can do. Don't expect instant results. Stay in it for the long haul and reap the benefits.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If he worked for the railroad then I know him. If not your right and I don't. Sorry I didn't intend to get too personal.

Nah, lol. Nothing too personal or anything. Just wasn't making sense. Dad just works cows and does dozer work and works on cars around Macomb, and that's about it.

Also, my names not Mitch Rapp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom