What do you to plan to do if . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everyone should have a plan. This plan should be as simple as possible, and be able to modify according to the situation. the only thing worse than not having a plan, is having too many or too complicated a plan.

1. Identify all potential threats.
2. Isolate threats by force or retreat; whichever has the greatest potential for survival of self/family.
3. Contact proper athourities.
4. Write a detailed writen account as soon as possible, while it is still fresh in memory. Any legal action taken will take months or even years to see finality. A detailed account will be neccessary/crucial whether for legal defense or offense.
5. Learn form experience, modify plan accordingly.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are things to consider.

For example, if you drive up and you can clearly see there is people in your home (truck in driveway, busted window and seeing movement in the house, busted door, ect) then I would say that the best course of action is to stay outside and call the police. Actively going in to "defend your home" and charging in like Rambo is only going to bite you in the ass legally.

Now if you walk pull up into your home and there are no telltale signs that a burglar is in your home and you walk in on him in the act, then yes do what you wish. You can draw your firearm and go bang bang bang to your hearts content and ask questions later.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll inject a different line of thinking here, how about taking as many steps as necessary to prevent "walking in on someone", such as installing and using an alarm system?

What other steps would be good preventative measures?

We've had dozens of what would you do threads and they all seem to have the same tone, you have the ultra bad ass guys that would kill anyone in their house, and you have others that are at the other end of the spectrum. I for one hope I am never faced with the decision, and can't say honestly how I would react as there are too many factors involved to speculate.

This!
Way too many what-iffs to really say what will really happen.
If you haven't ever been in that situation its really easy to say what you would do, but in reality, its a split second decision. Its going to possibly be violent, and it may come when you don't expect it. Its not a TV situation.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone should have a plan. This plan should be as simple as possible, and be able to modify according to the situation. the only thing worse than not having a plan, is having too many or too complicated a plan.

1. Identify all potential threats.
2. Isolate threats by force or retreat; whichever has the greatest potential for survival of self/family.
3. Contact proper athourities.
4. Write a detailed writen account as soon as possible, while it is still fresh in memory. Any legal action taken will take months or even years to see finality. A detailed account will be neccessary/crucial whether for legal defense or offense.
5. Learn form experience, modify plan accordingly.

After getting out of the situation, one way or another, #4 is the most important lesson to be learned from this list.

The civil crap will start, and you will want your notes written in a spiral bound notebook where pages cannot be added later on from what I've been told.
Any LEO's/Lawyers that can verify or debunk that statment is ok with me. Its just what I've been told.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After getting out of the situation, one way or another, #4 is the most important lesson to be learned from this list.

The civil crap will start, and you will want your notes written in a spiral bound notebook where pages cannot be added later on from what I've been told.
Any LEO's/Lawyers that can verify or debunk that statment is ok with me. Its just what I've been told.

I have seen many lawyers take witnesses apart in front of the judge just because thier memory wasn't as good as they thought it was. Officers/myself included.

Latest posts

Top Bottom