What do you to plan to do if . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aodh

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was reading Glocktogo's post on the guy that got shot after walking in on burglary in progress and wondered what exactly is the recommended course of action if you walk into a similar situation.

Securing my guns while I'm not at home is not an issue as the probability that a burglary would put a half dozen pistols out in the hands of a bunch of punk kids, is why I've spent more money on a gun safe this year than new guns.

I live in a very quiet mixed race middle class neighborhood with little crime but my first trip into the house after coming home from somewhere is always empty handed and cautious (no I don't walk in gun in hand).

I can't envision being targeted by professional burglars, but drugged up kids or kids on a lark are a possibility. My only conundrum is "Do I shoot first, or try the 'Halt, reach for the sky'" if I walk in on a break in. If I see a gun on the burglar(s), the answer is "boom" first, but absent that I'm torn since I don't want to shoot some stupid kid out on a dare.

I understand that the OK "make my day" provisions probably covers me legally, but I still want to be able to live with myself. I long ago worked out my response to a break in while I'm home (dead attacker), but walking in on a burglar seems a different bag of worms as the intent of the burglar to "do harm" is not as clear absent the evidence of a weapon.

I'd appreciate your comments.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
just my opinion, but repete is right most will just run, the questions are
1. can you handle the guilt of killing an unarmed kid
2. are you sure that things won't get twisted in a court (espically civil)
3. How are you going to explain that you didn't just turn around and walk out and call 911
4. are you not confident enough that if you had your gun pulled and drawn that if the BG reached for his gun that you could not hit him?

depending on how you feel about the above questions will determine how to respond...

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have to explain #3.
Isn't that what the stand your ground law is for?
If I walk in and someone is in my house the last thing I would do is turn around. I don't want to get shot in the back either.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Do you have to explain #3.
Isn't that what the stand your ground law is for?
If I walk in and someone is in my house the last thing I would do is turn around. I don't want to get shot in the back either.

i thought it was under the assumption that you knew the house was broken into or the BG didn't see you.... and not trying to play games but if you walked in and he didn't see you could you not draw your gun and walk backwards out. I am just not much of a shoot 1st and ask questions later. I am just saying it would be very difficult to explain to a jury (and a normal jury, not a jury of OSA's) why you shot an unarmed man.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i thought it was under the assumption that you knew the house was broken into or the BG didn't see you.... and not trying to play games but if you walked in and he didn't see you could you not draw your gun and walk backwards out. I am just not much of a shoot 1st and ask questions later. I am just saying it would be very difficult to explain to a jury (and a normal jury, not a jury of OSA's) why you shot an unarmed man.

No, "stand your ground" means just that.You have no obligation to retreat in your own home.What you do is your business.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll inject a different line of thinking here, how about taking as many steps as necessary to prevent "walking in on someone", such as installing and using an alarm system?

What other steps would be good preventative measures?

We've had dozens of what would you do threads and they all seem to have the same tone, you have the ultra bad ass guys that would kill anyone in their house, and you have others that are at the other end of the spectrum. I for one hope I am never faced with the decision, and can't say honestly how I would react as there are too many factors involved to speculate.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No, "stand your ground" means just that.You have no obligation to retreat in your own home.What you do is your business.

I agree... You don’t need to let thugs ruin your life. They bank on you not doing anything. It's all about fear the factor.

The best investment you can buy is a good safe to keep all you valuables in. They may get in but I want to see them lift the safe when it's anchored to the ground...

Latest posts

Top Bottom