What handgun do you carry in the field?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of these depending on what I am doing
High standard double-9 9 shot DA 22-general bummin around
Nickle 10-5 4" first round a shot shell-see above
Model 57 (no dash) 4" 41 magnum currently with remington factory loads-If deer are in season and out doing something or where hogs may be
10" 45lc/410 TC contender with 3" 7 1/2 shot-If its really bad snake country/fishing/building fence...good serpent medicine (my mother likes this one!)

for Handgun hunting I have few extra tc barrels for that. the 1911 doesnt get much field carry as need get good holster for it

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Antique Colt woodsman or S&W Model .22 LR for plinking

Model 29 or Super Redhawk for hunting (but I haven't hunted with a pistol in 20 years).

Colt Series 70 Government Model or Browning Hi-Power when hiking or just screwing around in the woods. There is a guy on gunbroker.com that has some of the coolest old holsters from the 20s-70s.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1911 .45acp made in 1917, paid 90 dollars for it in the late 60's been shooting it for at least 40 years and has always been my favorite out of probably 30 or so pistols in my safe

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ruger Redhawk loaded with CorBon 305 grain solids. I want charging hogs to stop. Now. The only one I have shot at did. Immediately.

Getting a new (damned expensive) cross-draw holster that will hold either the Redhawk or the scoped Super Redhawk in a position enabling a much quicker deployment than my current vertical shoulder rig (which will soon be for sale--will also have a military pistol belt, modified leather holster, and mlitary suspenders if the new holster works out). Plan to use the Super on deer next season.

For those with smaller weapons, if you think hogs are a possibility, do yourself a favor and use solids rather than hollowpoints. Hollowpoints can really annoy a hog, and 9mm is simply not enough gun.

This dang thread is giving me the heebie jeebies. I ain't skeered of much; but I am real skeered of hogs. :shocked: Especially an annoyed hog. Crap, I'm gonna have to go have a pork chop or two for lunch now as part of my program to rid my mind of annoyed hog thoughts. :eek:

Latest posts

Top Bottom