10mm 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One more decision done: I tried to convince Dan Wesson to build me a Valkyrie Commander in 10mm, but they won't do it on an aluminum frame. I think during my sabbatical I will attend a top-quality 1911 building program, then just do it myself.

From what I understand none of the 1911 classes will let you work with aluminum frames. Usually it's all 5" and steel. Who sells a 1911 alum frame for you to build upon?

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of exceptional quality no doubt.

Do you by any chance have that link on the documented 10mm with tear downs? It would be interesting to see the build/setup.
I don't, but I'll find it again. The more I read, the more I think this would be a fun project. For a commander, most use a heavier main spring, heavier recoil spring, and flat FPS (or, whichever version delays unlocking the longest).

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think that if someone had successfully built a 10mm on aluminum frame(that held up under use over a specified period of time(shooting all types of loads)) that we would have heard about it by now---either by references from those that had seen it or by a published article by the inventor. IMHO(with a little bit of sarcasm thrown in), with enough money being laid out, anything could/can be built---from a 458 Bond style derringer to a 50BMG featherweight rifle. Whether it should be built, it's durability, it's safety, etc. will be governed by the determination and pocketbook of it's creator/maker. All I can say is to each his own, different strokes for different folks or whatever trips your trigger.

PS I know that Glock isn't everyones cup of tea, but they do make the Glock29 which IMHO is about as small and light as a 10mm pistol can get. Also, it holds 10rds in the flush magazine and 15rds in the extended magazine. Might have to go with something like a KKM barrel to fully support the head of the 10mm round though.

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think that if someone had successfully built a 10mm on aluminum frame(that held up under use over a specified period of time(shooting all types of loads)) that we would have heard about it by now---either by references from those that had seen it or by a published article by the inventor. IMHO(with a little bit of sarcasm thrown in), with enough money being laid out, anything could/can be built---from a 458 Bond style derringer to a 50BMG featherweight rifle. Whether it should be built, it's durability, it's safety, etc. will be governed by the determination and pocketbook of it's creator/maker. All I can say is to each his own, different strokes for different folks or whatever trips your trigger.

PS I know that Glock isn't everyones cup of tea, but they do make the Glock29 which IMHO is about as small and light as a 10mm pistol can get. Also, it holds 10rds in the flush magazine and 15rds in the extended magazine. Might have to go with something like a KKM barrel to fully support the head of the 10mm round though.

There's not a lot of demand, probably won't ever be IMO. Reminds me of the S&W 329 PD, sounded good, but when it came to hot loads.....it's not going to be all that fun. And who wants to shoot tame .44 rounds or tame 10mm? JMO.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's not a lot of demand, probably won't ever be IMO. Reminds me of the S&W 329 PD, sounded good, but when it came to hot loads.....it's not going to be all that fun. And who wants to shoot tame .44 rounds or tame 10mm? JMO.

I'm guessing it won't be worse than a 340PD with Magnum loads, and I've learned to handle that one well. The G29 is also surprisingly fun with lots of practice. I'm willing to try it out, for fun!

Latest posts

Top Bottom