cow farts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HOW MUCH? Can you believe this? If cows can get rid of gas, why don't they do that, before the bloat to the point where they can't breath, and die? Have any of you know it all jack asses ever lost a cow to bloating? No wonder polituics in this country is so messed up. People will believe anything they see on TV, and then call anyone that tries to tell them the truth, a bad name? I GUESS THE DUMBING DOWN OF AMERICA IS ABOUT COMPLETE?
Bloat is a digestive disorder that results from the accumulation of excessive gas within the rumen and can lead to death of the animal by asphyxiation. Gases such as carbon dioxide and methane are normal by-products produced during microbial fermentation of feed stuffs. The gases produced in the rumen can either be absorbed through the rumen wall, travel through reticulum and the remaining digestive tract, or predominately, they are eructated or belched out through the esophagus. Eructation of gas from the rumen through the esophagus is done by a series of muscular contractions that is initiated by the accumulation of gas within the rumen to signal for its release. However, proper rumen function and motility can be impaired by large amounts of acids produced during ruminal fermentation. If normal rumen contractions are prevented or if the esophagus is obstructed, bloat can occur.

According to an article from the Journal of Animal Science by Cheng and others, there are two types of bloat: free-gas bloat or frothy bloat. Free-gas bloat can occur when the esophagus becomes obstructed by incompletely processed or chewed feeds (e.g., potatoes, beets, apples, turnips) and even hay twine. Free-gas bloat can also be caused by a lack of rumen motility, which can be caused by damage to the vagus nerve by pneumonia, hardware disease, or thoracic abscesses. Additionally, rumen motility can be impaired by the onset of acidosis, and hypocalcemia. Frothy bloat develops when a stable foam forms in the rumen and traps gases in the rumen liquid phase, preventing the separation of rumen feed particles and liquids from the gas within the rumen. As the rumen fills from increased digesta and gas accumulation, frothy foam formation can obstruct the esophagus from allowing gases to be belched from the rumen, thus causing the animal to bloat.

Signs of bloat​

During the onset of bloat, the left paralumbar fossa (triangular area between the last rib and hook bone) becomes distended. As the severity of bloat progresses, the distention of the paralumbar fossa will become more obvious, the rectum may begin to protrude from the animal, and pressure on the diaphragm may cause the animal to have difficulty breathing and be unwilling to move according to a Veterinary Clinics: Food Animal Practice article by Meyer and Bryant.

Treatment of bloat

According to an Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development publication by Majak and others, a large diameter hose or tube (0.75 inch diameter, or a standard garden hose) can be placed in the animal’s mouth, allowing them to swallow it so it passes through the esophagus and into the rumen. Be careful not to place the hose or tube in the lungs. Make sure the hose or tube is cleared and move it back and forth to reach different areas of the rumen. If gas does not appear to be escaping the rumen from the hose or tube, remove the hose or tube and check the end for froth. For treatment of frothy bloat, non-toxic oils, such as a mineral or vegetable oils, can be administered at a rate of 1.0 to 1.2 oz./100 lb. of body weight into the rumen via a stomach tube or drench. In severe cases of bloat, surgical intervention may be needed. Contact your veterinarian, as a rumenotomy may need to be performed or a trocar and cannula may need to be inserted into the paralumbar fossa to relieve gas from the rumen.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/why-are-my-cattle-bloating

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's physically impossible for cows and goats to belch, regardless of what these veterinarians, doctors, scientists, cattle producers and other experts say. old John says so and he obviously knows more than these experts. You're just a liberal...
See what I mean? This guy is mad at me, for telling the truth, that doesn't agree with the propaganda he has been fed, is that amazing or what? I have worked with cattle my whole life, and I'm 76 years old I think? I have never seen a cow belch, or fart, but have seen dozens bloat!!!! In North Korea the GREAT LEADER Kim Dong Do, is so PURE he never has to take a dump, and flies aroiund on a White Unicorn!!! The poor ignorate NK people will get mad at anyone that tries to tell them this is, PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE! They have BOOKS to prove it!

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
EEEEE GAD! i titled this cow fart not really trying to be exact to as how cattle emit the gases from their rumen!!! then intent was that the gov. wants to regulate the emissions from the biological function of livestock. and as frothy bloat the remedy is mineral oil to break up the surface tension on the bubbles in the froth so the cow can belch. there are other remedy that work just as well.
I don't have time to read many books, I'm to busy working cattle!

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
See what I mean? This guy is mad at me, for telling the truth, that doesn't agree with the propaganda he has been fed, is that amazing or what? I have worked with cattle my whole life, and I'm 76 years old I think? I have never seen a cow belch, or fart, but have seen dozens bloat!!!! In North Korea the GREAT LEADER Kim Dong Do, is so PURE he never has to take a dump, and flies aroiund on a White Unicorn!!! The poor ignorate NK people will get mad at anyone that tries to tell them this is, PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE! They have BOOKS to prove it!

You'd think in 76 years (?) you'd learn how to just admit when you're wrong. I guess some people are just slow learners.

And I'm not mad that you're too stubborn to admit you're wrong. I think it's hilarious you blame everything you disagree with on either someone being mad, believing propaganda or being a liberal. No, old John, it's none of those. You just can't admit your ignorance. Actually, it's more sad than hilarious.

Cows burp. So do goats. And they probably fart, too. Deal with it, old man. It's the smelly truth. It's not gonna ruin your life to admit you didn't know, or were wrong about, a trivial thing like this.

Latest posts

Top Bottom