Degree or no degree?? Let's agree to disagree

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He owns the plumbing company and still does the work.I saw him at Carls Jr. last week snaking a drain.
In my current line of work I deal with a lot of plumbers. Well I did. Now I do it myself mostly. There are several that go above and beyond. Worked on one house near Nw 23rd and May. Broken sewer stack. Couldn’t find anyone to do it. One company showed up and got it done like champs. The break was 20+ feet down with a gas line right where they needed to set up. They used a small but very interesting excavator that had more range and articulation. I was impressed. Other bids were in the 15k range. 6500 later and it was flowing fine. I could tell they had excellent management and were happy to be building a career with the company. Without them I wouldn’t have made any money on the project.

Last edited:

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the reasons that some employers prefer degreed applicants is that a degree is evidence that the applicant can set goals, work to accomplish them, and follow them through to completion. Sometimes they don't care what your degree is in, and they may not require a degree, but they prefer one for that reason.

Having a degree does NOT necessarily mean you don't have experience, are hard working, or can learn from other sources. One of my high school teachers said college doesn't teach you useful things. It teaches you how to research and find out how to learn useful things.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the reasons that some employers prefer degreed applicants is that a degree is evidence that the applicant can set goals, work to accomplish them, and follow them through to completion. Sometimes they don't care what your degree is in, and they may not require a degree, but they prefer one for that reason.
Well, that, and "degree" is a check box that even the lowliest HR drone can use as a filter for job applicants whom they're otherwise unqualified to consider.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder what kind of job I could of gotten if I had told the secret of making a pizza with Ramen Noodles??

:teach:
Hey! Don’t be dissing ramen noodles!
I’ve elevated them to gourmet status with my recipe 😁
As far as the subject in the thread, there have been studies that said folks that took trade schools in subjects that were marketable made more money than those with a college degree to a certain point, then the degreed person paying off student loans overcame the person without one in their lifetime.
Mid life in the late 40’s or 50’s if I remember right was the breaking point for those with degrees to move ahead.
I went to a junior college before getting an invite to be a member of the military electing to take an additional year to go to a tech school.
Actually used that education for the rest of my life to make a decent living.
When going to work for OG&E at Sooner Power Plant, the job required a degree or a minimum of 10 years experience which was already in the books.
Some companies realize on the job experience is as important as a degree.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I told my kids. When you are born life gives you an empty tool box. Each day you get the opportunity to earn a tool. If you succeed the tool is in your box for life. May be rusty after a long time but still a valuable tool earned. You can pass these tools on to others who may have difficulty earning theirs. (polynomials, quadratic equations [ate my lunch]).
If you do NOT fill your box you must rely on others for their tools.
You have nothing to trade....

Latest posts

Top Bottom