Deputy assigned to Florida school 'never went in' during shooting, sheriff says

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/2...ver-went-in-during-shooting-sheriff-says.html

The school resource deputy who was on patrol at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on Feb. 14 resigned Thursday after video surveillance showed he never entered the school, even though he "clearly" knew there was a shooting taking place, officials said.

Deputy Scot Peterson, of the Broward County Sheriff’s Office, was stationed on the school’s campus when Nikolas Cruz opened fire with an AR-15 rifle, leaving 17 people dead and others wounded.

Sheriff Scott Israel during a press conference Thursday said video showed Peterson arriving at the west side of the building where the shooting took place. Peterson, Israel said, took up a position but "never went in."

Peterson was armed and in uniform during the shooting, but never entered the building despite "clearly" knowing a shooting was happening, Israel said.

The sheriff said he believes Peterson remained outside of the building for roughly four minutes, while the shooting in total lasted around six minutes. Israel said the officer never fired his weapon.

The sheriff told reporters he's "devastated. Sick to my stomach. There are no words."

When asked about what law enforcement agencies entered the building first, and at what time, Israel said that it "doesn't matter who went in first" or "what order you went in."

"What matters is that when we, in law enforcement, arrive at an active shooter, we go in and address the target," the sheriff said. "And that’s what should’ve been done."

Peterson, according to Israel, should've "went in. Address the killer. Kill the killer."

The sheriff said that he suspended Peterson without pay pending an internal investigation, but the officer resigned and retired.

In 2014, Peterson was named School Resource Officer of the Year in Parkland, WSVN reported. The district stated "Deputy Peterson has proven to be reliable in handling issues with tact and judgment.”

Two other deputies from the Broward County Sheriff's Office have been placed on restrictive duty as officials investigate "whether or not they could have done more, should’ve done more."

The officers were identified by WSVN as Edward Eason and Guntis Treijis.

Their restricted assignments come as the bureau found it responded to 23 calls regarding Cruz or his brother since 2008. In two of the instances, Col. Jack Dale said, protocol might not have been followed.

Israel said an investigation remains ongoing.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gillom Rogers: [Books has just given Gillom a shooting lesson] But how could you get into so many fights and always come out on top? I nearly tied you shooting.

John Bernard Books: Friend, there's nobody up there shooting back at you. It isn't always being fast or even accurate that counts. It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This just disgusts me. I understand being scared but good lord do something. I just don’t see how someone could knowingly stay out of the fight when they know there is an active shooter. He could have saved so many lives. And it’s even worse being a police officer. I can see it if it were some security guard that never deals with anything remotely like a shooting but a police officer should never do something like this. I just don’t have anymore to say about it.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/2...ver-went-in-during-shooting-sheriff-says.html

The school resource deputy who was on patrol at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on Feb. 14 resigned Thursday after video surveillance showed he never entered the school, even though he "clearly" knew there was a shooting taking place, officials said.

Deputy Scot Peterson, of the Broward County Sheriff’s Office, was stationed on the school’s campus when Nikolas Cruz opened fire with an AR-15 rifle, leaving 17 people dead and others wounded.

Sheriff Scott Israel during a press conference Thursday said video showed Peterson arriving at the west side of the building where the shooting took place. Peterson, Israel said, took up a position but "never went in."

Peterson was armed and in uniform during the shooting, but never entered the building despite "clearly" knowing a shooting was happening, Israel said.

The sheriff said he believes Peterson remained outside of the building for roughly four minutes, while the shooting in total lasted around six minutes. Israel said the officer never fired his weapon.

The sheriff told reporters he's "devastated. Sick to my stomach. There are no words."

When asked about what law enforcement agencies entered the building first, and at what time, Israel said that it "doesn't matter who went in first" or "what order you went in."

"What matters is that when we, in law enforcement, arrive at an active shooter, we go in and address the target," the sheriff said. "And that’s what should’ve been done."

Peterson, according to Israel, should've "went in. Address the killer. Kill the killer."

The sheriff said that he suspended Peterson without pay pending an internal investigation, but the officer resigned and retired.

In 2014, Peterson was named School Resource Officer of the Year in Parkland, WSVN reported. The district stated "Deputy Peterson has proven to be reliable in handling issues with tact and judgment.”

Two other deputies from the Broward County Sheriff's Office have been placed on restrictive duty as officials investigate "whether or not they could have done more, should’ve done more."

The officers were identified by WSVN as Edward Eason and Guntis Treijis.

Their restricted assignments come as the bureau found it responded to 23 calls regarding Cruz or his brother since 2008. In two of the instances, Col. Jack Dale said, protocol might not have been followed.

Israel said an investigation remains ongoing.

The Deputy froze when faced with the moment of truth. He has to live with it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom