Diabetics question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not diebetic. I drink everything but I'm cutting down on the soda. In the summer it's coffee in the morning and tea (unsweetened) or crystal light during the day. If I'm outside sweating buckets it's G2 gatorade mixed with water. I'll have a soda a couple times a week maybe.
the G2 for me works.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The sweeteners used in diet pops still cause an insulin reaction just like sugar/HFCS does. Which can cause issues since the insulin secreted to take care of the "sugar" your body thought it detected doesn't have a job to do, which in turn can lead to more insulin resistance.

Just because something doesn't have calories doesn't mean it's good for you, or even just neutral. It can still be a bad thing.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The sweeteners used in diet pops still cause an insulin reaction just like sugar/HFCS does. Which can cause issues since the insulin secreted to take care of the "sugar" your body thought it detected doesn't have a job to do, which in turn can lead to more insulin resistance.

Just because something doesn't have calories doesn't mean it's good for you, or even just neutral. It can still be a bad thing.

So if diet sodas cause insulin release without accompanying sugar load, why don't they cause a drop in blood sugar? Just curious for the biochemical explanation for this?

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if diet sodas cause insulin release without accompanying sugar load, why don't they cause a drop in blood sugar? Just curious for the biochemical explanation for this?
That I know of this isn't specifically known and research is still ongoing.

I don't have a sweet tooth at all and tend to just stay away from things with added sugar/sweeteners, so there's not really a direct relationship to me for any of this.

I do have an acquaintance who is interested in how sugar, sugar substitutes, and sugar alcohols affect his blood sugar. I know he's just a sample of one, but in his testing sugar alcohols raise his blood sugar more than actual sugar, and effects of other sugar substitutes is mostly neutral, if I recall correctly.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I am not diabetic, but Grumpy is. My neurologist suggested I start a ketogenic diet and stop eating processed crap, which included by beloved Diet Coke and Russell Stover sugar-free mints. He suggested I test my blood glucose after drinking a Diet Coke or eating a mint and see what happened, but regardless of that, he really wanted me to stop that **** because he believes a lot of those chemicals seep through the blood/brain barrier and accelerate Alzheimer's and Parkinson's symptoms, and I've already developed essential tremors, so ...

Sure enough, guess whose blood glucose levels went up. This girl's, that's whose. I don't know why but it did and I was fasting when I drank it so I can't blame it on anything else.

The other really weird thing -- I did a cold turkey thing and didn't have any processed food for 2 weeks. Didn't drink anything but water, tea or coffee. No sugar or sweetners. Pretty strict keto -- no starchy vegetables, lots of fish, dark green vegetables, blah, blah, blah -- and then we went to Burger King on a whim. I took one swallow of a Diet Coke and very nearly puked. I dunno how I ever drank the stuff. Had to go pour it out and get some water. My fries?? Jesus Christ. Those things were the nastiest pieces of crap I have ever tasted. How do people eat that ****?? Good God. I'm ruined now. The SAD just won't do it. Poor Grumpy. He wants to go out for a burger and fries and I'm just not having any of it. Guess he needs to get a girlfriend to eat with or something. :anyone:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hear all the government scientists say that coffee will cause cancer, charcoaled meat will cause cancer, Sweet & Low Sweetner will cause cancer, bacon has nitrates -bad for you. Then they do further studies and say that coffee will actually prevent cancer. Blah, blah. I think it is up to us using common sense what we can eat. Eating out is bad for one's health-fatty food, poor hygiene on the part of foreign cooks etc. I went in one place and the cook was preparing food and on his cell phone and the wife and I walked out. Who knows how much bacteria is on that cell phone-not that I'm going to borrow it but nevertheless...
Follow your Doctor's orders if you trust him or her.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just watched this TED Talk today, 18 minutes well spent. A physician talking about blood sugar, insulin, and our ability to reverse Type 2 through diet. I thought it was interesting that the recommendations of the ADA are actually exacerbating the problem. Also surprised at the enormity of the problem.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's what I know from my one person ancedotal study -- I didn't have a weight problem until I started drinking diet soft drinks. Did artificial sweetners and highly processed foods lead to the ET and MCD I am experiencing now at 60, or are those things the result of a very, very bad hand of cards genetically speaking?? The argument could be made it is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

What I do know is that since I've moved away from processed foods to whole foods and from starchy foods to more healthy fats and proteins and less carbohydrates, I feel better, have fewer headaches and my tremors are slighter. When I exercise regularly I have less trouble with brain fog and memory problems.

I truly believe the SAD we've been told my entire life was healthy was actually a crock of ****. And don't even get me started about the "war on drugs" and how Big Pharma was gonna take care of us all with "safer" prescription medications. Now look at the mess we have with opioids.

This last year has been an interesting journey for me and it's not over yet. Really odd thing is, even with all the bumps in the road, I've felt better this last 18 months than I have in the 5-7 years before that and I don't expect that trend to change any time soon. I'm gonna be the first one organizing wheelchair races in the hallway of the old folks' home. :rubhands:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The sweeteners used in diet pops still cause an insulin reaction just like sugar/HFCS does.

That I know of this isn't specifically known and research is still ongoing.

I do have an acquaintance who is interested in how sugar, sugar substitutes, and sugar alcohols affect his blood sugar. I know he's just a sample of one, but in his testing sugar alcohols raise his blood sugar more than actual sugar, and effects of other sugar substitutes is mostly neutral, if I recall correctly.

So then it's actually the opposite of what you stated, or completely neutral. So... what you said above was based on - what? Nothing? Hearsay? Conjecture? Internet myths? All of the above has been my experience from those who make such claims, but have zero science to back up what they're repeating. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing anyone, it's really easy to listen to someone who knows a lot of big words talk about how things work, but when you actually break down the biochemistry find out they don't understand the underlying processes at all. In fact, from what you're saying, and from Annie's experiences she listed above, as well, it is the exact opposite of what you stated initially - it does NOT cause a drop in blood sugar, which indicates it DOESN'T cause additional insulin secretion.

This IS the pattern of internet myths. Make a claim with no foundation in science or research, repeat it ad nauseum, blame big corporations and mainstream medicine for trying to "hide the truth" in order to actually make people sicker, so they can purportedly make more money off of them. Jenny McCarthy is a perfect example.

It's laughable, but sad at the same time. I see the same myths perpetuated here year after year in the flu shot threads and various other situations.

Which can cause issues since the insulin secreted to take care of the "sugar" your body thought it detected doesn't have a job to do, which in turn can lead to more insulin resistance.

That's not what causes insulin resistance.

Absolutely agree.

As for
Commander Keen said:
the "sugar" your body thought it detected

Looking at the physical chemical structures of the varying sweeteners and regularly-occurring natural sweeteners, the differences are so obvious as to be laughable. Conversely, sucralose itself is actually derived from sugar, changing only a couple of Cl- ions for hydroxyl groups. While this seems a minor change, it actually makes it significantly more potent subjectively, but 85% of it is excreted unchanged in feces, and dozens and dozens and dozens of repeated and repeatable studies have found absolute ZERO adverse effects in humans and animal studies, some of which fed animals up to a weight equivalent that would have an average human male consuming 1000 lbs per day of the stuff.

Chemophobes like Dr. Mercola on the Dr. Oz show (Oz himself is a sellout and fraud) make sensational claims like "sucralose is more like DDT than sugar". Of course, looking at their chemical structures, NOTHING could be further from the truth, and looking at his webpage to try to determine where he comes up with this, all of his claims are completely lacking any studies, sources or citations - with the exception of linking back to his own website 14 times. It appears this claim he made up and completely pulled out of his ass. Some credible source, huh? But, but, but... he was on TV... he was on... DR. OZ! Hmmm... you think they might be planning on some sensational claims because of ratings instead of actual factual information that is boring? Hmmm... maybe.

And the internet (and TV) is replete with massive anecdotal BS that appeals to fear and emotion and ignorance of science, relying on little to no actual repeatable and published research.

I could go on and on... but suffice it to say, we all know we're not going to change the minds of those who are buying into the conspiracy theories and such, but do your own research. In five minutes online, you can find dozens upon dozens of published studies with massive troves of data, all public. And you can find dozens of blogs where people make sensational claims but have zero evidence to it up.

Is a natural, healthy and diverse diet without artificial preservatives and such preferable and encouraged? Sure, nothing wrong with that. But chemophobia doesn't do anyone any good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom