Do you have two cars?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
depends on the person and the situation. we have given, traded, loaned, sold on payments etc. to freinds and family members as needed. they in turn have done similar things for us when we first started out, and needed it

but, i agree, they better be worthy.

my Dad worked with a young local guy who didnt have a very good reputation. one morning he showed up at work, on foot. he walked about 6 miles, across a creek, up a steep mile long hill, carrying his tools and lunch. and he was there on time.

nobody gave him a car, but he had a ride to and from work everyday after that, till he had his own ride.

how far would you walk to work if your car didnt start tomorrow?

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have three vehicles plus two more for my office.

I gave one of my office cars to my next door neighbor. He pastors a mega church here in Tulsa. He told me a single mother got it.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
If I was in a position to afford to do so, I would consider it. But I would be very careful of who and why; so as not to encourage the practice of "not affording" one.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I was in a position to afford to do so, I would consider it. But I would be very careful of who and why; so as not to encourage the practice of "not affording" one.

This is true. better to give it where you can get a tax break. The facty is with most people, relatives, employees, whomever...the more you give, the more they want and EXPECT.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not "give" it away. Generally someone who cannot afford even a thousand dollar car cannot afford insurance, servicing, and other related expenses and have no business owning a car. Sure that is a blanket statement, but I'll make a generalization and spare sharing the exceptions.

I sold my old truck to my brother-in-law as he needed a reliable vehicle. It was for less than market value, but at a price he could afford. He still felt the burden of having to pay for it though, which is important IMHO.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
This is true. better to give it where you can get a tax break. The facty is with most people, relatives, employees, whomever...the more you give, the more they want and EXPECT.

Unfortunately this is true too often.

My brother is now doing pretty good for himself, working full time in a *good* job, living at home, and going to college. But I had entertained the thought at one point of indefinitely "loaning" him our 3rd car to help him get on his feet.

If there was a family that we knew very well, and they hit truly hard times (not laziness), and a car is what it would take for them to get back on their feet, I would surely consider it.

And it would almost have to be someone with kids.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The crowds asked John the Baptist, “What should we do?” He said to them in reply, “Whoever has two cloaks should share with the person who has none. And whoever has food should do likewise.”

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The crowds asked John the Baptist, “What should we do?” He said to them in reply, “Whoever has two cloaks should share with the person who has none. And whoever has food should do likewise.”

I get that, but people need clothing and food. It is questionable if people need cars.

Big pet peeve of mine: America's mentality that everyone should own a car and a home. As if walking and/or public transport, and renting, somehow isn't good enough.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Food and clothing.

He didn't say "he who has 2 mules give one to him who has none."

Not being picky here, being honest. Food and clothing are necessities, transportation is not.

You could loan them use of a car for interviews until they got a job. And also go out of your way to give someone a ride to that new job until they could afford a car of their own.

Latest posts

Top Bottom