Do you still write checks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many checks do you write?

• None

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • 2-3 per year

Votes: 23 20.5%
  • 2-3 per month

Votes: 49 43.8%
  • 2-3 per week

Votes: 19 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hard_r

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the 21st century, fellas. I don't even go to the bank. Ever. All funds are direct deposited and I use a debit card for almost everything. Except: 1. If I'm buying a gun, I get cash. I don't want any bank problems gumming up the works. 2. If I'm going out to the bars. I don't trust myself on a tab. 3. I pay my roommate in cash because he doesn't need the money bad enough to bother going to the bank for sometimes 2+ weeks to deposit the check, and nothing bugs me more than waiting on a check to clear. 4. If I'm buying something from an individual, gun or otherwise. I have literally never ran into any other situation where cash was needed.

pinkhamr

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My wife is a Debit Card type but always updates the check register ...... I prefer CC (Cashback) or just plain 'Cash' at Gunshows ..... Also use cash for discounts at a few retailers who enjoy not paying a Merchant Fee for a transaction and pass part of that savings back to me. Checks? These days maybe 4 a month ..... just for 'some' bills. On check number 9768 right now, not bad for 32+ years at the same Credit Union. BTW, when was the last time you could even buy a stamp that you had to lick???? Just sayin' ..... ;)

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My grandma pays for things with checks, but she fills out everything but the amount before she gets in line because she is not oblivious. In her day, wormens carried checks and fellas carried folding money.

She's also almost 85, so don't be hasslin' her.
This used to be a common occurrence to see someone getting their check ready before they reached the register. Back then you were considerate of those behind you in line and did your part to speed the line along. This thinking has become unnecessary in todays society as we only we only need worry about ourselves and not how what we do affect others.

Michael

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some places, like Wal-Mart in particular, allow you to run your blank check through their reader, which takes care of the writing part. In fact, writing a check at Wal-Mart takes usually no longer than running a credit/debit card.

Of course, since Wal-Mart is the devil and no one here actually shops there, it's a moot point.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course, since Wal-Mart is the devil and no one here actually shops there, it's a moot point.

Thread jack:

I don't hate on Walmart because of their capitalism. I hate on them because shopping stores in Metro areas (like S. Lewis or Admiral/Memorial stores in Tulsa) is a filthy and degrading exercise. The isles are crowded with inconsiderate city folk (like me, which is why I shop stores that are less full of people like me). The employees are sparse and unhelpful. I have had to climb a ladder there to get my own topsoil because no one was willing to help me (I asked, and no one would assist). The items are often out of stock, more so than other stores. The stores are unclean, but the carts and restrooms are exceedingly disgusting.

Rural or suburban stores are at least passable. I visit Skiatook or Owasso when I am near there, and they aren't necessarily bad. I frequented the store in Moore when I lived there. But in Tulsa or OKC proper? Only if there is something specific I want to buy (like a new TV on sale at 8 PM Easter Sunday 2011 :P ). And that is very rare.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's a "Wal-Mart"? Do they make chicken salad sandwiches with apples in them, topped with organic greens? I usually only shop at retail establishments that make chicken salad sandwiches with apples in them, topped with organic greens. If this "Wal-Mart" you are discussing does not meet these criteria, that could explain why I've never heard of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom