don't sell that seaside property just yet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From that story:

"While cutting planet-warming emissions is seen as the first and most important way to halt the melting of the West Antarctic ice sheet, scientists have also come up with an array of hi-tech suggestions for saving the gargantuan ice shelf and staving off.

Levermann has researched ideas including using snow cannons to pump trillions of tons of ice back on top of the frozen region.

Other suggestions have included constructing Eiffel Tower-sized columns on the seabed to prop it up from below, and a 100m-tall, 100-kilometre-long berm to block warm water flowing underneath.
"

Add to that the previous suggestion made years ago by "climate scientists" of putting big mirrors in space to reflect back the rays of the Sun, and they might just prove to the world that they don't know crap with regards to what they speak.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NO way a tiny piece of ice or land dropped into the huge ocean is going to raise the level significantly.
Sorry i am not buying into this at all.
As much as I would like to see California under water it's not happening.
Thats what I never understood on this stuff. Ice cubes in a water glass full of water float leaving the same volume above the water that it will lose as it melts. Water occupies more space as a solid than as a liquid. I could be oversimplifying the glacier issue, but it is a pretty simple experiment from school comparing phases changes.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats what I never understood on this stuff. Ice cubes in a water glass full of water float leaving the same volume above the water that it will lose as it melts. Water occupies more space as a solid than as a liquid. I could be oversimplifying the glacier issue, but it is a pretty simple experiment from school comparing phases changes.

Maybe it is because most ice cubes in a glass aren't showing above the surface of the water? Once the ice cube drops fully into the water, the water level will rise. Fill a glass with ice but leave one or two cubes sitting on top and see what happens.

Last edited:

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Al Gore and all those other Chicken Little elitists are just a part of NWO. All they care about is getting richer and controlling us peasants. Most of them fly around in their private jets and drive big SUVs. Gore talked about rain bombs and boiling oceans. Nobody knows what planet he was on to see these. If these people really cared, they would shut down the cutting of the rain forest and strip gold mining in South America. The bottom line is the transferring of wealth from richer countries to poor countries and to the pockets of these elitist. Gore could make a smaller carbon footprint if he could control his appetite. John Kerry has never worked a day in his life. He just marries rich women. Another POS.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it is because most ice cubes in a glass aren't showing above the surface of the water? Once the ice cube drops fully into the water, it won't rise. Fill a glass with ice but leave one or two cubes sitting on top and see what happens.
I guess the container was less important in how I was thinking about it. A free floating piece of ice is never fully submerged without some outside force. The density of the ice will determine how much of it is above the surface of the water which is also how the balance of the ice cube displacing the same amount of water as its liquid equivalent would. When the water goes from solid to liquid, its density increases which means the volume it displaces decreases.

School Iceberg Experiment

If the iceberg actually extends all the way to the sea floor, then it is being propped up and that would certainly change what happens as it melts. I would imagine this is the issue we are facing here and probably what you were alluding to by stacking ice on top of what would free float in the glass.

Latest posts

Top Bottom