oyster eaters beware

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oyster sauce, used when I make stir fry with orange chicken is the only way that I use them but that probably doesn't count.

My stepdaughter is allergic to shellfish so I won't use it if she comes over. I'll likely do Italian then.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There used to be a fast food seafood place called Arthur Treachers. I got some fried oysters there once. I don't know if that really qualifies as trying oysters since it was just a fast food joint, but I was a poor high school kid working part time, so wasting food was just not do-able. All the same, I couldn't eat them. Nastiest thing I ever tried to eat, you could not get me to try an oyster in any form to this day.
That place was awesome. There was one near 15th and memorial many years ago.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There used to be a fast food seafood place called Arthur Treachers. I got some fried oysters there once. I don't know if that really qualifies as trying oysters since it was just a fast food joint, but I was a poor high school kid working part time, so wasting food was just not do-able. All the same, I couldn't eat them. Nastiest thing I ever tried to eat, you could not get me to try an oyster in any form to this day.
I can't eat a fried oyster. Love them raw or rockefeller as earlier stated, but never fried. They served fried oysters once in the mess hall at basic training. I'd never tasted any oyster of any kind prior to that being an okie redneck. Probably food poisoning but I puked non-stop in the infirmary for a full day. Thought I was going to die.
Never had one fried since.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in the navy dating my soon to be wife in Baltimore, her mother would often buy a bushel of oysters to be shucked and a few dozen blue crabs. The family firmly believed that whiskey with raw oysters would turn to stone in your stomach causing serious gastric issues. I proved that myth to be false. I've eaten them raw around the world but believe the very best were from Apalachicola bay on Fla's gulf coast and Chincoteagues from the lower Chesapeake.
Yes! you can certainly tell the flavors from the location where they are harvested. I haven't had the opportunity to have some from Chesapeake bay yet.
Back when you could get away with stuff at the work place in the 80's, our sales staff would be working all week in the Louisiana gulf coast selling drilling bits to the oil field companies. Late Friday evenings one of them would load up their 3/4 ton pickup with fresh off the boat shrimp and bags of fresh oysters, then cover them in a couple hundred pounds of ice. Renew the ice the next morning and be back to Ponca late afternoon. When they got there we would have tables set up, beer bought, cookers set up and the feast would begin when the truck got to the plant.
We had so much fun at the work place back in those days.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up on the Texas gulf coast. Seafood was a way of life. Fresh shrimp, flounder, Red Snapper, King Mackerel, etc, etc, etc, but I never did like oysters. Only good thing about them was the shell being crushed and used to gravel the roads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom