health insurance enrollment period

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went from HealthChoice to Pacificare this year...going back.

GC must be wearing off on me ... HealthChoice is tempting but what if one of us has a "health crisis" as they are fond of calling them.

When I worked at Tax one of my co-workers husband came down with some kind of brain tumor. She took a year off work to care for him until he died. The medical bills were out of this world. She filed for bankruptcy, I think, after he passed.

I have often wondered since then how does being responsible for 20% of everything affect the quality of care you get??

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HealthChoice is tempting

HealthChoice is one reason why I am glad I quit collecting a taxpayer-funded paycheck. They made it very difficult to get preventative asthma medications (specifically Advair and Singulair) when I was trying to use them for better control of my asthma until I can get back in shape. They'd only allow one month to be filled at a time, and a couple of times I had to wait for an approval call (and you really don't want to skip more than day or two on those).

I didn't like the side effects and decided the additional workout load that I could handle with them didn't outweigh those side effects and eventually stopped. (Plus, I learned of the side effects that typically show up later in life from those types of meds and that really did it for me.)

Personally, now I'm on BCBS (out-of-pocket since I'm self-employed), but I haven't had to use it. According to my parents, it worked very well when I was growing up.

I shopped around and read eight different policies before buying, so I think I did good.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HealthChoice is one reason why I am glad I quit collecting a taxpayer-funded paycheck. They made it very difficult to get preventative asthma medications (specifically Advair and Singulair) when I was trying to use them for better control of my asthma until I can get back in shape. They'd only allow one month to be filled at a time, and a couple of times I had to wait for an approval call (and you really don't want to skip more than day or two on those).

I didn't like the side effects and decided the additional workout load that I could handle with them didn't outweigh those side effects and eventually stopped. (Plus, I learned of the side effects that typically show up later in life from those types of meds and that really did it for me.)

Personally, now I'm on BCBS (out-of-pocket since I'm self-employed), but I haven't had to use it. According to my parents, it worked very well when I was growing up.

I shopped around and read eight different policies before buying, so I think I did good.

It does sound like you did good.

The problem you had with HealthChoice we also experienced with GlobalHealth ... it was like pulling teeth to get anything done. I wish we could shop outside the "approved" choices for state employees but alas, we cannot, so I guess I will get all the stuff out and go over it again ... blah ... :zzz:

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, we got our letter in today's mail. Looks like we are going to Pacificare also.

Ditto. Looks like Pacificare for us too. Goin' to drop Community Care since they elected to make the Saints network exclusive, none of our docs are there. I think CC is going to take a huge hit for the OKC area and find out they made a bad decision. Be interesting to see a year from now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom