Home Defense - Handgun or Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In your opinion, which is a better home defense gun?

• Handgun

Votes: 77 30.2%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 178 69.8%

• Total voters

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if you can hit what you aim at use pistol ....... if you cant hit a wall if it was right in front of you scatter gun......

My scatter gun shoots 00 Buck into a single hole at 10 yards, you better be able to hit what you aim at with it or you're going to miss just as easy as with a pistol.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't referring to the spread of the shot.

If I fire my 9mm from 3 meters...and just miss you, or hit you in a non-critical area, you'll have a better chance of fighting back than if I fired my 870. The concussion from a shotgun and impact of the round is far greater.

A 12 gauge at 3 meters anywhere on your body will put you out of action.

I think we've established that it doesn't matter what you use, AS LONG AS YOU HIT THEM, and keep hitting them.

Ah, the way it was worded made it sound like you were referring to spread.

:brick:

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The shotgun is the better option, but my pistols are easier to get to. I've tried and tried and the Remington just won't fit in my nightstand.

Paulinok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted handgun based on safety issues. Its locked in a handy safe beside the bed. I have kids in the house so its important to me no loose guns lying around. If there was an intruder I'd prefer to have my pump handy....as hearing that pump action at work should scare anyone out....but more than likely I'd use my sig as its easiest to get out in an emergency.

Latest posts

Top Bottom