Kansas goes constitutional carry.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Great points SMS and Dave, I see your side of the argument. Thanks Dennis, I think you bring up a great point in there being a generational gap in that nearly everything official we have done requires a license of some sort now, It is kind of the norm. I think another difference is that people from generations before mine have an expectation for people, as a whole, to act in a responsible and rational manner. As we go forward, what I am seeing in this country is an increase in stupidity and a decrease in personal responsibility and accountability. I have a lot less faith in people as a whole, but especially younger generations, to take the time to educate themselves on the law and operating in a safe manner. Would a law requiring education cut down on crime? No. Will it help someone make informed decisions in time of need? Maybe, maybe not. But surely you have to agree the most important aspect to safety and law obedience is education and you cannot expect all people to do educate themselves.

With great power comes great responsibility... I feel it surely is the right of a person to carry, however they must take responsibility for any actions. Without education, you may not even think about things. Take environmental awareness as an exmple. If your 9mm ball ammo travels through your threat and happens to hit maybe even kill an innocent person, or say you miss your target and hit someone else. You may not be on the hook for criminal charges but a good attorney could make a civil case out of it. This event could happen to people regardless of education. With that said, someone who is educated on the matter before may use better judgement or should at least be knowledgeable that he/she may be liable in those situations.

The other side of the coin is that with more freedoms come more restrictions. Think of all the places that have become gun buster properties since open carry was passed as a knee jerk reaction. Think outside of Oklahoma. Like in Texas where the 30.06 gun buster sticker carries the weight of law. I was faced with a moral delima this week checking into the Hilton in Dallas. Do I continue to carry and risk a class a misdemeanor, or do I go back out to my car and stay unprotected?

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken there is a state in the Northeast, Vermont I think, that has always had constitutional carry. If I recall correctly, Vermont has never required any sort of license for the purchase and/or carry of a handgun. Why does no one ever bring this up when being attacked by the antis? I'll have to do some research but I'm almost certain that their violent crime statistics have always been lower per capita than nearly every other state. Furthermore, as Vermont was the first state in the union to allow gay marriage, the liberals can't simply right off the entire state as a bunch of gun-toting, card-carrying republicans.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
in situations that involves public or personal safety, it is the responsibility of the individual to be educated on the subject.
with the bolded part I agree, and I have no issue with the state taking interest in that safety and offering courses and training to ensure that the public is informed and trained on all matters of firearm safety and laws. mandating it before being allowed to protect one's self is a whole different story.

Ditto

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great points SMS and Dave, I see your side of the argument. Thanks Dennis, I think you bring up a great point in there being a generational gap in that nearly everything official we have done requires a license of some sort now, It is kind of the norm. I think another difference is that people from generations before mine have an expectation for people, as a whole, to act in a responsible and rational manner. As we go forward, what I am seeing in this country is an increase in stupidity and a decrease in personal responsibility and accountability. I have a lot less faith in people as a whole, but especially younger generations, to take the time to educate themselves on the law and operating in a safe manner. Would a law requiring education cut down on crime? No. Will it help someone make informed decisions in time of need? Maybe, maybe not. But surely you have to agree the most important aspect to safety and law obedience is education and you cannot expect all people to do educate themselves.

With great power comes great responsibility... I feel it surely is the right of a person to carry, however they must take responsibility for any actions. Without education, you may not even think about things. Take environmental awareness as an exmple. If your 9mm ball ammo travels through your threat and happens to hit maybe even kill an innocent person, or say you miss your target and hit someone else. You may not be on the hook for criminal charges but a good attorney could make a civil case out of it. This event could happen to people regardless of education. With that said, someone who is educated on the matter before may use better judgement or should at least be knowledgeable that he/she may be liable in those situations.

The other side of the coin is that with more freedoms come more restrictions. Think of all the places that have become gun buster properties since open carry was passed as a knee jerk reaction. Think outside of Oklahoma. Like in Texas where the 30.06 gun buster sticker carries the weight of law. I was faced with a moral delima this week checking into the Hilton in Dallas. Do I continue to carry and risk a class a misdemeanor, or do I go back out to my car and stay unprotected?

And with unalienable rights come great responsibilities. When one is exercised without the other they are often replaced with permissions and mandates.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Topeka man says new gun law allowed him to delay armed robber

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- 24 year old Joey Tapley was a key witness in Friday's armed robbery for weapons inside the Academy Sports and Outdoors store in Topeka.

He recalled the moments before the robbery, saying, "I was at the counter buying bullets with my cousin and I heard some loud bangs. I look up and they are just loading up weapons from the counter and then they run off and my instincts kicked in."

Tapley followed the three suspects described only as white males ages 16 or 17, after they stole several rifles and an undisclosed amount of cash. Once outside, Tapley pulled out his own weapon.

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/314009921.html

http://concealednation.org/2015/07/...op-a-trio-of-armed-robbers-at-academy-sports/

Latest posts

Top Bottom