Neighbors scalped my yard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FYI... The state law for grass height is that it can't be over 12 inches tall. Many cities follow the state law with their local ordnances.

For the love of God get to know your neighbors, so at least you recognize them and can call them by name. Don't judge them.

Also, people hate grass and lawn care. Used to be that neighbors took a bit of pride in keeping a neat lawn and did the work, but these days most don't really care. Almost all of my neighbors that "care" about the appearance of their lawn pay a service to do it for them. I laugh because when the summer heat in on and the grass isn't grown much; I'll see the lawn guys drive up, mow and remove almost zero grass height.

Taller cutting height is better within reason, think 3-4 inches. It requires fewer lawn chemicals, water and actually helps rainfall absorb into the ground better that grass that is cut shorter. The Oklahoma Conservation commission has said that storm surges of water in the OKC area would be reduced if mowing height in increased to around 3 inches.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Taller cutting height is better within reason, think 3-4 inches...

^^ This is how I mow my yard - a little on the tall side. I'm not a yard guy, but I do keep the weeds cut.

On the other hand, my neighbors (both sides) ARE yard guys.
They mow it SHORT, keep it manicured, and it always looks great. I'm a little jealous of their awesome yards, but again - it's just not my thing.

A slight 'rub' is that they'll mow about 8ft onto my property along the roadside. (Each side!) It does kinda bug me, but I know both neighbors well and they're good people. I don't think their doing it to be mean or passive aggressive.

I just let it go.

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI... The state law for grass height is that it can't be over 12 inches tall. Many cities follow the state law with their local ordnances.

For the love of God get to know your neighbors, so at least you recognize them and can call them by name. Don't judge them.

Also, people hate grass and lawn care. Used to be that neighbors took a bit of pride in keeping a neat lawn and did the work, but these days most don't really care. Almost all of my neighbors that "care" about the appearance of their lawn pay a service to do it for them. I laugh because when the summer heat in on and the grass isn't grown much; I'll see the lawn guys drive up, mow and remove almost zero grass height.

Taller cutting height is better within reason, think 3-4 inches. It requires fewer lawn chemicals, water and actually helps rainfall absorb into the ground better that grass that is cut shorter. The Oklahoma Conservation commission has said that storm surges of water in the OKC area would be reduced if mowing height in increased to around 3 inches.
Yep that's what I do keep it 3-4. It looks nice and full at that height. Read somewhere a while ago that's about where my grass needed to get cut.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^ This is how I mow my yard - a little on the tall side. I'm not a yard guy, but I do keep the weeds cut.

On the other hand, my neighbors (both sides) ARE yard guys.
They mow it SHORT, keep it manicured, and it always looks great. I'm a little jealous of their awesome yards, but again - it's just not my thing.

A slight 'rub' is that they'll mow about 8ft onto my property along the roadside. (Each side!) It does kinda bug me, but I know both neighbors well and they're good people. I don't think their doing it to be mean or passive aggressive.

I just let it go.
That's great that you 'just let it go' when your neighbors mow into your much taller lawn, but have you ever wondered about how your neighbors (both being yard guys) might really feel about YOUR yard care? They also might be 'just letting it go' as well which IS the sign of good neighbors.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep they do keep it mowed, since it's all weeds they mow it at the lowest setting on their mower. It gets ugly quick. They always mow over their property line by at least 2feet. Never like this though. Was thinking about putting up a garden fence or something idk if the mail man would appreciate having to step over it or if it's even allowed here.

Recently had to have spring green spray my back yard for fleas because their 3 dogs are apparently infested and they were getting on my dog in my back yard. Probably spent $400-500 to remedy that situation. I have a number of other issues with them. In the back they have a huge tree that's growing into my fence bending it, always dead limbs fall off in my backyard when it gets windy. I could go on...
Unfortunately there are people that are inconsiderate and don’t care. Bad neighbors easily cause bad feelings. As crazy and as difficult as this sounds try to become a friendly, caring and loving neighbor.
“Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.” Matthew 22:39

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It wouldnt bother me so much when neighbors blows their cut grass onto my yard if they would do it before i mow not wait til i get thru mowing, since i bag all of mine, and i mean not 30 mins after i get thru and get my equipment put up.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's great that you 'just let it go' when your neighbors mow into your much taller lawn, but have you ever wondered about how your neighbors (both being yard guys) might really feel about YOUR yard care? They also might be 'just letting it go' as well which IS the sign of good neighbors.

"MUCH TALLER LAWN"? no.
Take a drink and settle down. Apparently you missed that I mow my lawn at 3-4 inches high, and maintain my yard.

3-4 inch height is well into normal healthy lawn-mowing settings (my Hustler Super-Z has settings for higher!), and 3-4 inches are waaaay under any eye-sore city code violation.

If I choose to maintain at 3-4" tall, and my neighbors choose to maintain at 1-2" tall - both are acceptable.
Why they mow my front corners? No idea. Again, they're good people and I don't let it bother me.

Big50

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I take pride in everything do and own. I maintain 1.3 aces around my home and mow every three days. Always start off mowing at 1.25 inches and end at 2.25 by the end of summer. Like clock work I fertilize every five weeks starting in April and ending late Sept. It's not uncommon to receive a water bill with 50, to 60,000 gallons on the dry months.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You’re understandably upset however unless you’ve already spoken to them about this once or twice I’m not sure why you would “lose your 💩”. Go talk with them and ask them not to do that again. If it continues to happen you can either blow a gasket or put up a little fence. It’s a whole lot easier to escalate a situation then it is to de-escalate one.
I find that a 6” fence of towing chain on rebar fence posts usually stops the wayward lawnmowers in their tracks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom