OK Senate passes bill that would allow more teachers to be armed at school

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do believe those that choose to carry in the classroom should have additional training about shoot/no shoot scenarios and the effects of shooting in a crowd, etc similar to CLEET type training. You have a constitutional right to carry to protect yourself, but if your charged with protecting others, you need the training to do so.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do believe those that choose to carry in the classroom should have additional training about shoot/no shoot scenarios and the effects of shooting in a crowd, etc similar to CLEET type training. You have a constitutional right to carry to protect yourself, but if your charged with protecting others, you need the training to do so.
While I tend to agree, I also have a hard time arguing with their right to defend themselves in any scenario.

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I tend to agree, I also have a hard time arguing with their right to defend themselves in any scenario.

Just my 2¢ ... :drunk2:
Not disagreeing with your opinion and I stated so in my post. But when your charged with protecting the lives of others, thats where I think additional training for that incident should be required. It's a whole new ball game when your defending yourself in a parking lot vs a hallway of screaming kids running in a panic. One of the latest school shootings a student was shot when a school officer opened fire when he saw a muzzle come around a corner that was actually a LEO coming around the corner. The school officer fired with a student in the background hitting them.
Not saying that couldn't happen with well trained LEO and it has happened in the past, but training would reduce that chance is all I'm saying.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not disagreeing with your opinion and I stated so in my post. But when your charged with protecting the lives of others, thats where I think additional training for that incident should be required. It's a whole new ball game when your defending yourself in a parking lot vs a hallway of screaming kids running in a panic. One of the latest school shootings a student was shot when a school officer opened fire when he saw a muzzle come around a corner that was actually a LEO coming around the corner. The school officer fired with a student in the background hitting them.
Not saying that couldn't happen with well trained LEO and it has happened in the past, but training would reduce that chance is all I'm saying.

First of all I didn't see anything in that article that stated that the teachers were being "charged with protecting the lives of others".

Second...do you have a link to that story about the school officer shooting a student? I haven't heard about that one. You think it would be all over the news.

Also my guess would be that that school officer had additional training.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First of all I didn't see anything in that article that stated that the teachers were being "charged with protecting the lives of others".

Second...do you have a link to that story about the school officer shooting a student? I haven't heard about that one. You think it would be all over the news.

It was all over the news. Google will be your friend.
Your correct in saying the teachers were not being charged with protecting the students. Now in the real world do you think the armed teacher would stand by and let students be killed while they stood by because they were only carrying to protect themselves?
In my thinking, they would do what teachers have done in other school shootings trying to protect their students but I may be wrong. I hope not.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I am not sure this is the same story... I remember reading it a few days ago, but was under the impression it had happened very recently, this story is from last May. But the description of a security guard firing and accidentally hitting a student is VERY similar.

I haven't found a more recent article yet.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/...s-say/73-21affd66-0cc6-4ba2-a8b3-6b64297dfd15

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
It was all over the news. Google will be your friend.
Your correct in saying the teachers were not being charged with protecting the students. Now in the real world do you think the armed teacher would stand by and let students be killed while they stood by because they were only carrying to protect themselves?
In my thinking, they would do what teachers have done in other school shootings trying to protect their students but I may be wrong. I hope not.
I agree that the teachers would most likely protect the students but that is much different from them being charged to protect them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom