School shootings. Ideas on how to reduce the damage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroupGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a good number of knowledgeable folks on this forum and I'd like to pick your brains on how Oklahoma Schools could reduce the damage caused by shooters intent on killing our children. I have my ideas but would appreciate honest and serious input. There are a large number of smaller schools that would have more flexibility regarding security but still have very little due to budgets or knowledge of what to do. I know this is a broad question not knowing the particulars of the individual school. Assume it is your old school, your children's school or former school. Sharing of knowledge is the most valuable part of forums like this.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody gets into Yukon High School without an ID. This is a good start.
1. I think the schools should run drills, just like they do for tornadoes.
2. Teachers should be trained and allowed to have guns at school.
3. The school should have a game plan and have a group of teachers who are willing and ready to fight off an attacker.
They should keep a gun locker with guns that will stop the attacker for this group.
4. Have a plan for your kid. Teach your kid that iy is his job to survive. The teacher may not always know what is best.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless we turn our schools into armed fortresses....we won't ever completely be safe. Barring that, schools can take a lot of basic steps to try and mitigate the damage.

My kid's school has only one way in during the day, and that route takes you past the large glassed in front office. The folks who man that office take visitors seriously. My kids have been going to that school for almost a decade and they still challenge me when I come in. All the classroom doors are thick metal/wood with a small reinforced glass window with a pulldown shade. Doors to all classrooms stay locked while class is in session and the door is not opened during class unless the teacher knows who is requesting entry. They practice their lockdown drills every quarter etc...

Other than a full time LEO patrol, I am comfortable that they are doing just about everything they can.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, we know state law is not the answer. No weapons on school property is working out, wouldn't you say? Once again, only criminals disregard such laws. You have to wonder, what if just one CC person was on hand.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Allow admin & teachers to get training and carry concealed, or have the ability to get to a locked up gun close to their room.

Allow willing parents to get training and carry concealed and donate their time to walk the halls.

When a bus crashes and kills 20 kids it's a tradjedy. When a psycho kills 20 kids it's a tradjedy, wether it's with a gun, a knife, a bat, a hammer etc. Short of banning buses, bats, knives, hammers and guns which already are, no idea?

Or let's just move all the schools into the prisons and move the prisoners to the schools, no more gun free schools then:). And the kids are well protected inside the prison. Hell some prisons are nicer than public schools.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sons school also has an office you have to sign in through before you can enter. It would be a good idea, to go along with arming teachers, to have at least one armed person in that office. Being as that is the point of entry and all. I mean as it stands now, if someone was wanting to get in to do harm, they could just barge on through the office and there would be nothing they could do.

I hope they look at allowing willing teachers to keep a safe in their room for these emergencies. That really would be the best way to mitigate the damage from these incidents.

It still is so illogical about the "gun free zones". The only people abiding by that law are the good guys. Then when stuff goes down, only the bad guys are armed and the good guys have to try and take down an armed opponent unarmed. There really is nothing effective about gun free zones. I know I'm preaching to the choir here but it's true.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
we do "active shooter" drill like tornado drills and some of the elementary schools have a machine that does ann immidiate background check. the machines are called "lobbby guard" they have caught two names listed on the sexual predator list but i doubt it would stop a gunman in any way.
some of the poeple i work with are ccw carriers and a couplke are ex-leo. of course we can't carry at work but it is mentioned often.
i like the idea of having classroom doors locked when the kids are in class
piston10 mentions a cop on duty. the high schools have an officer on duty full time. the middle schools have an officer around about 40-50% of the time. as for the elementarys, i have seen cop car at a few on occasion. the cop car in the parking lot at all times might be a good deterrant.

Latest posts

Top Bottom