School shootings. Ideas on how to reduce the damage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All it takes is one bad teacher to ruin the armed teacher idea. I think full time LEO's in addition to the security like SMS mentioned is the best idea.

Got to thinking. What is there to stop one bad teacher now? You would think that some of these shootings would involve a frustrated teacher but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Like it or not, we trust our teachers with our children's lives already. Why not give them the tools to mount a more effective defense?

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
exit only doors except one main one right thu and I mean right thru that principles,admin, secretary,coach, office area. Allow cc to all school employees.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got to thinking. What is there to stop one bad teacher now? You would think that some of these shootings would involve a frustrated teacher but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Like it or not, we trust our teachers with our children's lives already. Why not give them the tools to mount a more effective defense?

My daughter isn't in school yet but I don't think I would have any issue with her teachers carrying. I just think allowing teachers to carry on school opens up a lot of liability.

Just heard Rudy Giuliani say " don't focus on a simplistic solution because this is a far from simple problem to solve". Simply arming teachers or putting cops on campus isn't going to completely prevent a determined shooter. They are good measures but I don't think this could ever be fully prevented.

What if local PDs came in plain clothes and tested school security measures, unannounced to the school? Maybe that would open a few eyes on a personal level to school staffs?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what the do in Israel. I don't see any kids being traumatized.

img.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_dennishoddy1_teacherinisrael.jpg

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as I know, there is no known technology that can prevent a crippled mind bent on destruction from executing their twisted bidding once they set their plan into motion.
The only effective and proven method of stopping a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what the do in Israel. I don't see any kids being traumatized.

Agreed... but that is also in a country with mandatory military service, that has been in open armed conflict of one type or another for decades with neighboring countries. Unfortunately, I think most of the sheeple in the US would freak at the thought of that kind of security around their poor little fragile children. :(

I would love it... and I would personally volunteer some of my time regularly to patrol my son's school or the public school system where I live and work. We need more parents willing to get involved, we need to encourage honest, responsible, level-headed citizens to get permits and more training, and we need to let them carry on campus. I think volunteer forces would go a LONG ways towards discouraging these kinds of attacks. We've all seen it... where do these attacks happen most frequently??? In places where there are large amounts of vulnerable people, and also most frequently, in places where guns are discouraged our outright banned. Movie theaters (most of these are no-carry zones now, right??? WHY????), shopping malls (same story), and schools. And some in hospitals, most of which are also posted.

Good, hardworking, honest and responsible citizens need to be more PROACTIVE in their protection and defense, and in that of their children and coworkers. We need to stand up and say, "I am not going to allow my kids, family, friends and coworkers to be targets!"

In short, we need a fundamental shift in this country away from sheeple-ism. There are many of us who are responsible gun owners, yes... but we need to stop sitting back and letting the loudmouthed camera-hungry politicians and anti-gun activists slowly work on turning this into an unarmed state. If there are 80 million-plus gun owners in the US, how in the hell did we allow it to get to the point that we have been prohibited from protecting our most valuable assets (our children!) in the one place where they are most vulnerable???

If I go to pick up my son at school, I can't leave my vehicle, because state law says if I walk over to the playground, I just became a felon! This is in spite of the hardened steel lockbock tethered to my seatposts and the 2-way paging alarm with multiple interior and exterior sirens and multiple redundant battery backup. Seriously?

We've allowed our schools to become proverbial barrels full of proverbial baby fish! :(

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are sinful fallen human beings living in a sinful fallen human world. That being said, evil exists and this is another case. I am on board with school staff being able to carry but there is more. They need to be trained and have to qualify often. The training would need to involve more than just shooting paper. It should be the way LEO are trained as far as entering hostile shooting situations. It is one thing to carry but another to be effective w/what you carry in a hostile situation.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. We will never be able to completely stop the chance of this happening. It's sort of just like "professional" terrorists...if someone is willing to DIE to do something, there's little that can be done to stop them....that being said...........

2. IF it does happen...kids and faculty need some way to get OUT of the danger zone. We have fire escapes in buildings; we have escape slides in airplanes...why not use that technology to ensure that kids can get out of a locked classroom through a window. That way if trapped in ANY scenario, at least the kids can get out and away from the building instead of being trapped in a kill box.

3. SECURITY section....EVERY school needs a security section. We have cameras in every convenience store, hospital, courthouse, even Churches, etc...We HAVE to get this technology in every school. Secure all doors except a main entrance that goes into the main office...funnel all traffic through that area. Have cameras on ALL other possible entrances...and have someone MANNING the monitors at all times when students are in the building. If someone tries to get in a closed entrance, then you will KNOW about it ahead of time. This isn't crazy high tech, high dollar stuff...its well within reach. Don't ***** about what it would cost....it's worth a hundred times that to save one innocent child's life! FIND A WAY TO FINANCE IT!!

4. Send selected long time employees (to have background experience with that employee) that wish to do so to cleet training and provide them a "duty weapon". Matching weapons mean matching ammo and matching magazines. Have an adequate number or armed employees at all times. This needs to be split up between office staff, JANITORIAL staff, teaching staff, etc.

5. Do active shooter drills...........its harsh....but the more the kids get used to it, they'll be ok with it. You'd be surprised how much kids retain and will USE when needed if they are just trained to deal with certain things.

6. Also have volunteer parents monitoring halls and such with radio communication to the main office and security department. First line of protection....of course if something goes down, they may very well be a first casualty...but I’m sure many would take that chance.

That's just a few of my ideas......this thing has had my brain on overload since yesterday...all those poor babies.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are sinful fallen human beings living in a sinful fallen human world. That being said, evil exists and this is another case. I am on board with school staff being able to carry but there is more. They need to be trained and have to qualify often. The training would need to involve more than just shooting paper. It should be the way LEO are trained as far as entering hostile shooting situations. It is one thing to carry but another to be effective w/what you carry in a hostile situation.

^^^THIS

We DO need to allow people to carry... staff, volunteers, security, whatever. But they need to be checked out, qualified and trained. Not just Joe Schmoe with a permit. No offense, but the stakes are just too high. We NEED to do more.

And everyone thinks it won't happen in their community.... :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom