Situation in a school. Needs some honest feedback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You would not be merely "offending the school admin",,,
You would be wasting the efforts of the last four years of your life.

If you get a negative review during your student teaching semester,,,
You can pretty much kiss a career in public education goodbye.

Like I said in my earlier post,,,
I've seen it and came too close to experiencing it.

I was fortunate to have a different job opportunity to fall back on,,,
Or the 4 years it took me to get my B.S. degree and credentials would have been wasted.

Aarond

Again, choose between your physical well being and a job. Sounds like it's not worth it.

Sad that it comes down to that choice!

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Teachers, admin and indeed the district are forced to adhere to the fed. components of 94-142 read it here http://www.scn.org/~bk269/94-142.html. The local IEP plan must use this as a guide to place, and educate the child regardless of race, creed or color. Teachers cannot "stand up " to admin or any one else. The team writes the IEP according and under the guidelines of 94-142. Typically "least restrictive environment" will be a part of the impetus for what the team includes in its yearly plan. The team is usually made up of the spec. ed director or their representative from the head shed, building spec. ed director, spec. ed teacher that is assigned the child's folder, building administrator, mainstream teachers the student may scheduled to, and the parents. They jointly write, monitor, and alter the IEP, individual educational plan, to best meet the needs of the child. Components of the IEP include but are not limited to, learning environment, mainstreaming, conduct, testing, state mandated testing, whether the student needs a full time spec. ed aide assigned to them, etc. When I retired from after 36 yrs and 29 as an admin at every level of education it cost on avg. $12,000/ student to meet the needs of the more profoundly disabled students. I would think a severely autistic student could fall into that category.

FREE and appropriate education in the least restrictive environment is the backbone of the regulations that drive 94-142.

SMS you sir have a LOT to learn about special education.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, student teaching is a learning experience. There are people on site being paid (sort of) to take care of the situation and they don't expect a student teacher to be the difference maker for them. Some people have more missionary spirit than others and feel compelled to love the unlovables and teach the unteachable. Others feel they can help those who thirst for more knowledge move upward and onward by stretching their horizons and challenging them. I agree that location makes all the difference. Young lady needs to get in an environment where she can flourish, but this may be a semester of affirming what she doesn't want to do. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up and get your ticket punched to go on to the next level.

Cedar Creek

bluedog46

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks all for the insight.

I figured I would share the sort of "final" thoughts that my bro and SIL came to.

First off I think we all agree kids are not what they used to be and we probably all will suffer for it.

Since she is student teaching, the kid is not in her grade, class or even floor there is not as much concern for her safety directly. Obviously everyone is worried about other teachers and students, but bro is worried about his wife as number 1

She is being extra aware and going to not say anything. If she was actually teaching at that school it was discussed that it would be leaked to the press and they would salivate for it.

Thanks again everyone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom