Situation in a school. Needs some honest feedback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedog46

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a little concerned that the OP used the term assaulted in reference to a 4th grader. Assault; I do not think that word means what they think it does. Black, white, autistic, TBI, or normal, it doesn't matter. Good grief, 4th graders are 8-9 years olds. Lets not consider them on par with hardened pit bull gangbangers.

From first hand experience I know what it is like and can truly feel for the situation in a manner only someone having lived it can, i.e. raising a special needs child with (TBI) Traumatic Brain Injury. In my own home I've watched the process from 4years old to almost 17 years old. 17 year olds CAN assault an adult 4th graders/8-9 years olds can't.

Every evil mass murder in history was in 4th grade once? Every mass shooter was in fourth grade once. I just found out on IM with Bro that one of the teachers assaulted had a bruise on her arm from where the "child" picked up a chair. it was assault. Appreciate your opinion and I want it, but it seems you are giving the "it will get better" approach of bury it in the sand. That reminds me of the "if people did not have guns then criminals would not use them" I think it was by Feinstein.

Some example of "young children"
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-01-12-school-violence-usat_x.htm

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am a little concerned that the OP used the term assaulted in reference to a 4th grader. Assault; I do not think that word means what they think it does. Black, white, autistic, TBI, or normal, it doesn't matter. Good grief, 4th graders are 8-9 years olds. Lets not consider them on par with hardened pit bull gangbangers.

From first hand experience I know what it's like and can truly feel for the situation in a manner only someone having lived it can, i.e. raising a special needs child with (TBI) Traumatic Brain Injury. In my own home I've watched the process from 4years old to almost 17 years old. 17 year olds CAN assault an adult 4th graders/8-9 years olds can't.

The legal definition of assault, battery, assault & battery or aggravated assault are not dependent on the age of the person committing them. If you think an 8 year old can't cause permanent physical harm to an adult, you're deluding yourself.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hitler was in 4th grade once? Every mass shooter was in fourth grade once. I just found out on IM with Bro that one of the teachers assaulted had a bruise on her arm from where the "child" picked up a chair. it was assault. Appreciate your opinion and I want it, but it seems you are giving the "it will get better" approach of bury it in the sand. That reminds me of the "if people did not have guns then criminals would not use them" I think it was by Feinstein.

As bad as he was later in life, at 9 years old Hitler was not a threat, the analogy does not fit.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The legal definition of assault, battery, assault & battery or aggravated assault are not dependent on the age of the person committing them. If you think an 8 year old can't cause permanent physical harm to an adult, you're deluding yourself.

Exactly.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, then by all means call the police and have formal charges filed. If there is a crime I'm sure the DA will prosecute.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We all tend to view things through the lens of our own experiences. Oftentimes our experience does not fit the situation being described and we should listen more than speak.

If a student teacher feels threatened by a student there is probably a valid reason for that feeling. If we argue otherwise without having been there to see the assault we are unintentionally implying that the student teacher is incompetent or unreasonable.That is not good.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps this might be a good time to reassess/reflect on the idealized vision of this career vs the day do day reality of actually being in that job. Maybe reflect on the lessons learned and find a district/state that more closely fits her vision if it's possible? More than other jobs I'm guessing location, location, location is everything.

bluedog46

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perhaps this might be a good time to reassess/reflect on the idealized vision of this career vs the day do day reality of actually being in that job. Maybe reflect on the lessons learned and find a district/state that more closely fits her vision if it's possible? More than other jobs I'm guessing location, location, location is everything.

She drew short straw on student teaching. She would not be teaching at that school. Its just more of a no one can believe this is happening.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are repercussions for being assaulted too. If you genuinely fear for your safety, you have to choose between safety and offending the school admin.

You would not be merely "offending the school admin",,,
You would be wasting the efforts of the last four years of your life.

If you get a negative review during your student teaching semester,,,
You can pretty much kiss a career in public education goodbye.

Like I said in my earlier post,,,
I've seen it and came too close to experiencing it.

I was fortunate to have a different job opportunity to fall back on,,,
Or the 4 years it took me to get my B.S. degree and credentials would have been wasted.

Aarond

bluedog46

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You would not be merely "offending the school admin",,,
You would be wasting the efforts of the last four years of your life.

If you get a negative review during your student teaching semester,,,
You can pretty much kiss a career in public education goodbye.

Like I said in my earlier post,,,
I've seen it and came too close to experiencing it.

I was fortunate to have a different job opportunity to fall back on,,,
Or the 4 years it took me to get my B.S. degree and credentials would have been wasted.

Aarond

Sadly you are right. People wonder what is wrong with the youth. I offer this situation as a prime example. You figure the teachers union would have some pull, but nope.

Latest posts

Top Bottom