Students To Pose With Guns In Yearbook Photos: School

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A win?

Students at a high school in Nebraska will now be allowed to pose with guns in their senior portraits.

The Broken Bow School Board made the decision to allow guns in school photos this week after a student asked to be photographed with a gun last year but was denied the option, according to local outlet KOLN-TV. The school board voted 6-0 to allow the guns in photos as long as the images are tasteful, the Omaha World-Herald reported.

Broken Bow Public Schools Superintendent Mark Sievering told the Omaha World-Herald that the school was initially afraid that allowing students to pose with guns would promote violence. However, the board decided to allow it because hunting is a big part of the local community.

“The board, I believe, felt they wanted to give students who are involved in those kinds of things the opportunity to take a senior picture with their hobby, with their sport, just like anybody with any other hobby or sport,” Sievering said, according to the Omaha World-Herald.

Students will not be allowed to be photographed brandishing the weapon or pointing it at the camera. If students do so, the photos will not be allowed to go in the school yearbook, according to the Associated Press.

The school board president, Ken Myers, noted that a lot of students in the district are involved in activities that use firearms, reports KOLN-TV.

"We have the 1 Box Shooting Club, a great trap range and sporting clays range," Myers told KOLN-TV. "A lot of youth are interested in that so that brings up firearms, I guess, a little bit more to the forefront along with the hunting."

In 2004, a student tried to sue his Vermont school after they refused to allow him to pose with a gun in his yearbook photo. A federal judge rejected the teen’s bid.

With the exception of groups like law enforcement personnel, Nebraska prohibits guns on school property, Time noted. Nebraska does not have particularly strong gun laws overall, and it received a D in a 2013 report that analyzed gun laws in each state.

more info at the World-Herald

http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/...cle_e25a4c6e-593c-11e4-ae63-001a4bcf6878.html

RKM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a kid growing up in the 1930's in the Smoky Mountain region of North Carolina, my father used to bring his trusty .22 with him to school along with other boys. After school it was time to hunt! School teacher had one rule, keep it in the closet unloaded. No one ever thought twice seeing kids walking to school carrying rifles. They all knew that was going to put food on the table.

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have been told by a few friends that are older than I am that the high school they attended had a shooting team. Can you imagine?! A team of students, with guns, endorsed by the school!!!! /sarcasm off/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been told by a few friends that are older than I am that the high school they attended had a shooting team. Can you imagine?! A team of students, with guns, endorsed by the school!!!! /sarcasm off/

Lots of schools have shooting teams.

FFA in high schools runs a great trap program.

OSU, and OU has a shooting team.

I've been in personal contact with the OSU team leader.

CBCollier

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I knew that the FFA had the trap program in some schools, that was one of the programs we tried to give to when I was working with the Friends of the NRA in Newcastle.

You just sure don't hear about them anymore in any of the schools around OKC. My son's school doesn't have any that I know of. It is very interesting how perceptions have changed in a relatively short time

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure if they still do this after this incident in 2013, but at my kid's school:

Oologah police removed an unloaded shotgun from the Oologah school campus between 7 and 8 a.m. this morning, Superintendent Rob Armstrong reported.
"At no time was anyone in danger," he said.
A hunter education class had been held in the vo-ag building last night. Someone left the shotgun in a secured closet in the vo-ag building. There was no ammunitiion on campus at any time, Armstrong said.
A school employee found the gun this morning and reported it to authorities. Oologah Police Chief Novale Thompson responded to the campus and took possession of the shotgun.

So it is still somewhat relaxed in the smaller town schools. Common sense hasn't been completely erased. Yet.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=102759109381&story_fbid=10151940546754382

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, some commone sense remains, but you still hear of kids being suspended for bringing key chains shaped like guns, making a gun out of your finger and thumb, etc.

I grew up in Owasso in the late 80's, when it was still small and I don't remember any type of shooting team, but I also don't remember ppl getting all bent out of shape in regards to guns either.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in high school in the 80's and several of us brought shotguns and rifles to shop class to refinish the stocks. Even carried them on the bus with us to and from school. I also remember one Halloween in junior high when I went to school as a cowboy and carried my 22 revolver on my hip. During deer season, we all had our 30-30's hanging in the windows of our trucks. Things are certainly different these days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom