The Shining ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wendy.jpg

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I liked The Shining movie, but the book was 100 times better. I've never really been a fan of King's books when they are converted to movies. They just never seem to be able to match my imagination when they transition to the screen. Plus I really hate when the film maker deviates much from the source material, and every King movie I have seen seemed to deviate quite a lot.
^^^This.

One exception to this is with my favorite SK book, The Stand. The 1994 mini-series from ABC is very faithful to the source novel.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well if literally millions of his books have been sold under several reprintings and in a score of languages, made multi-millions of dollars by his efforts, had several of his books used as the basis for movies, and is an author known around the world, then obviously he IS considered by many to be a great author (in his genre). "Great" being subjective, of course 😂
They sold 10 million pet rocks as well! Odds are some here bought them or got one as a gift, where are all those pet rocks now... Popular does not mean greatness. Just because it sells doesn't make it great either, very few want to buy Gremlins, Pintos, Vegas or Astres, all were popular. Greatness was the few, the Thunderbolts, Cobras, 442's, GTO's and Chevelle SS's. I stand by my words, steven king is a hack and will soon be forgotten.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They sold 10 million pet rocks as well! Odds are some here bought them or got one as a gift, where are all those pet rocks now... Popular does not mean greatness. Just because it sells doesn't make it great either, very few want to buy Gremlins, Pintos, Vegas or Astres, all were popular. Greatness was the few, the Thunderbolts, Cobras, 442's, GTO's and Chevelle SS's. I stand by my words, steven king is a hack and will soon be forgotten.

My Oldest Daughter is a Librarian, she has made similar comments to the effect he is not a good writer, but his movies excelled. And hard to refute the man’s coffers when it comes to gauging his success on his earnings.

Also she has always said books are far better than when they are turned into movies.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well Chuckie, when someone goes on TV and states anyone who goes to war for their country is the most vile and despicable creature on the face of the earth and should be put down like a rabbid dog along with a bunch of other things about stupid rednecks owning guns and clinging to religion, I don t feel compelled to support them monetarily. I'm glad you do, and so is Mr King, matter of fact he banks on it. I represent all groups he has berated, so I guess I'm a wimp in your eyes, and that will bother me about as much as........ oh, where were we?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@THAT Gurl If you want to see a different side of Jack, watch As Good As It Gets. Hilarious! Would definitely offend today's sensitive audience so I think you'd like it. :)

I don't like being scared - y'all can keep all that Steven King stuff regardless of his political affiliation. Only reason I watched Halloween was to see Jamie Lee Curtis and still not sure it was worth it!

If you want to see JLC without being scared, check out her bedroom dance scene in “True Lies.”

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some decent movies have ADAPTED from books. Few movies were books made into movies.

The closest book to movie I recall is "The Hunt for Red October."

Read the book one day and watched movie the next. Was very close.

Chris Kyle movie was a shortened version. Followed the book, but left some really good side stories out.

As far as King goes, popular or liked doesn't make it great.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well Chuckie, when someone goes on TV and states anyone who goes to war for their country is the most vile and despicable creature on the face of the earth and should be put down like a rabbid dog along with a bunch of other things about stupid rednecks owning guns and clinging to religion, I don t feel compelled to support them monetarily. I'm glad you do, and so is Mr King, matter of fact he banks on it. I represent all groups he has berated, so I guess I'm a wimp in your eyes, and that will bother me about as much as........ oh, where were we?
I don't view it as simply a case of "supporting them monetarily". Everyone has their opinion and I respect yours just as you respect mine, but I'm still not going to NOT buy something or NOT do something just because I don't like someones politics or religion. Sorry if I may have offended you but I'm just not going to be 'swayed' simply by what others believe or because I don't believe the same way 😁

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Oldest Daughter is a Librarian, she has made similar comments to the effect he is not a good writer, but his movies excelled. And hard to refute the man’s coffers when it comes to gauging his success on his earnings.

Also she has always said books are far better than when they are turned into movies.

Part of why I rarely went to the movies -- I mean besides I always had something else to do. The movies ALWAYS messed up the book. 🤔😖

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't view it as simply a case of "supporting them monetarily". Everyone has their opinion and I respect yours just as you respect mine, but I'm still not going to NOT buy something or NOT do something just because I don't like someones politics or religion. Sorry if I may have offended you but I'm just not going to be 'swayed' simply by what others believe or because I don't believe the same way 😁

It's your choice to buy or not buy. My argument sk is no Hemmingway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom