The Shining ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhart

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't read any of Stephen King's books anymore, but out of the ones I did read I liked The Shining, Salem's Lot, and Cujo, but my favorite, by far, was The Stand. And, IMHO, no one could have played Jack Torrance better than Nicholson did. The only exception may have been Anthony Hopkins. I could definitely see him taking the roll to the extremes.
I think The Stand was best also.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is kinda cool. I've read a lot of the books you guys have mentioned but not seen any of the movies. Now I have a project ... To go with all my other projects ... Lol

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Steven king is a liberal wack job. He actually thinks the planet and US is better off with lgb as pres. Read his X.com posts. In college back in the 80's in a 300 level English course the topic of steven king being great literature came up. My answer was no, he will not be great or recognized as a great author. His stories lack the depth and insight of great authors like Orwell, Poe, London, or Salinger. Yes, I will agree that his stories are entertaining and he has earned millions but a great author, I think NOT.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a collection of short stories, I like "Full Dark, No Stars", The Stand is my favorite novel and adaptation, (the 1994 version not the 2020 version)

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't buy steven king, he's a liberal kook. Try Dean Koontz, H.P. Lovecraft or Poe. steven king would easily fill the shoes of his vilian's (think randall flagg), and quite honestly, the good guy never wins in king's books. Read H.P. Lovecraft and you'll find that much of our modern horror comes from him and steven king's work is derivative of his.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@THAT Gurl If you want to see a different side of Jack, watch As Good As It Gets. Hilarious! Would definitely offend today's sensitive audience so I think you'd like it. :)

I don't like being scared - y'all can keep all that Steven King stuff regardless of his political affiliation. Only reason I watched Halloween was to see Jamie Lee Curtis and still not sure it was worth it!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Don't buy steven king, he's a liberal kook. Try Dean Koontz, H.P. Lovecraft or Poe. steven king would easily fill the shoes of his vilian's (think randall flagg), and quite honestly, the good guy never wins in king's books. Read H.P. Lovecraft and you'll find that much of our modern horror comes from him and steven king's work is derivative of his.
I used to read Steven King when I was young and then I discovered Dean Koontz. I never read another Steven King book after that.

You guys can have it all though, I haven't read any fiction, other than here, in a couple of decades. :D

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Steven king is a liberal wack job. He actually thinks the planet and US is better off with lgb as pres. Read his X.com posts. In college back in the 80's in a 300 level English course the topic of steven king being great literature came up. My answer was no, he will not be great or recognized as a great author. His stories lack the depth and insight of great authors like Orwell, Poe, London, or Salinger. Yes, I will agree that his stories are entertaining and he has earned millions but a great author, I think NOT.
Well if literally millions of his books have been sold under several reprintings and in a score of languages, made multi-millions of dollars by his efforts, had several of his books used as the basis for movies, and is an author known around the world, then obviously he IS considered by many to be a great author (in his genre). "Great" being subjective, of course 😂

Latest posts

Top Bottom