Wearing a mask when out and about

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the grocery store today after 13 days at home. had a box of dust masks the were purchased years ago for activities like cleaning out the chicken coop, so I wore one.
I know the official advice is that a mask isn't needed but I an baffled by it. I know the mask will not effectively block the inhalation of a particle the size of a virus.
However, we are dealing with a virus that is spreading unusually well because people that have it may have few or no symptoms for quite a while before falling ill, if they ever do.
I could be one of them for all I know. And it is allergy season so every now and then I may have to cough or sneeze a bit. If I'm wearing a mask anything I expel as part of a mild cough or sneeze is caught by the mask So the mask protects other around me at least as much as it protects me. The mask is also an effective reminder not to touch my face.
Something to think about - perhaps one of the medical professionals here could tell me if I'm just being silly.
Besides - going out wearing a mask and carrying a gun feels just a little bit outlaw :)

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol. I am planning to pick some stuff up tomorrow. I have a P100 rated mask and will probably use it. I lived not far from terra chemicals when their anhydrous ammonia plant exploded and ended up in an ammonia fog for a few days. I also worked around concrete saws with next to no protection and probably have damage from that as well.

I also have a neighbor who likes to visit me sho has cognitive heart failure and lung problems so catching something could be a death sentence for them.

As far as the masks the issue is that people touch their faces to adjust them too often and can pick up what the mask may have trapped and then end up shoving it into their eyes or don't wash their hands later on.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If there were plenty of masks, we would all be encouraged to wear them in public. We messed up by not having enough on hand for this very likely possibility: global pandemic. All the homeland defense experts messed up big time.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If the bad stuff is outside, they help keep it outside. If it's inside, they help keep it inside (to a lesser degree). Inhaling creates a better seal than exhaling.

Most masks are designed primarily to protect the wearer, not others. Surgical masks are the only exception AFAIK.
:drunk2:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good research showing that masks are effective at decreasing the spread. We should all be wearing them. In fact, I believe the CDC will change their recommendations within a week to 10 days and they will recommend that we all wear them when in public. I’ve been wearing one for 2 weeks.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the grocery store today after 13 days at home. had a box of dust masks the were purchased years ago for activities like cleaning out the chicken coop, so I wore one.
I know the official advice is that a mask isn't needed but I an baffled by it. I know the mask will not effectively block the inhalation of a particle the size of a virus.
However, we are dealing with a virus that is spreading unusually well because people that have it may have few or no symptoms for quite a while before falling ill, if they ever do.
I could be one of them for all I know. And it is allergy season so every now and then I may have to cough or sneeze a bit. If I'm wearing a mask anything I expel as part of a mild cough or sneeze is caught by the mask So the mask protects other around me at least as much as it protects me. The mask is also an effective reminder not to touch my face.
Something to think about - perhaps one of the medical professionals here could tell me if I'm just being silly.
Besides - going out wearing a mask and carrying a gun feels just a little bit outlaw :)

I don't have a mask, but I do have a bandana and that would just be so cool to wear it over my face and Open Carry to go to my bank. On second thought, that would be stupid on my part; I think I'll go masked, yet concealed, or not at all.

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While out and about I wear the gloves so I don't absentmindedly touch my face. Some folks maybe wearing masks for same reason.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom