Wearing a mask when out and about

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How about making a halo out of UV lamps! That would sterilize the air you both breathe and exhale! I'll bet it could be patented, too. :preocc:

There is no virus (or germ) small enough to slip in between photons! :thumbup3:

Woody

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the grocery store today after 13 days at home. had a box of dust masks the were purchased years ago for activities like cleaning out the chicken coop, so I wore one.
I know the official advice is that a mask isn't needed but I an baffled by it. I know the mask will not effectively block the inhalation of a particle the size of a virus.
However, we are dealing with a virus that is spreading unusually well because people that have it may have few or no symptoms for quite a while before falling ill, if they ever do.
I could be one of them for all I know. And it is allergy season so every now and then I may have to cough or sneeze a bit. If I'm wearing a mask anything I expel as part of a mild cough or sneeze is caught by the mask So the mask protects other around me at least as much as it protects me. The mask is also an effective reminder not to touch my face.
Something to think about - perhaps one of the medical professionals here could tell me if I'm just being silly.
Besides - going out wearing a mask and carrying a gun feels just a little bit outlaw :)
Why then to medical professionals wear them at all? Why is there such a tizzy about not having enough of them right now? I mean if they aren’t effective why do hospitals want them so badly?

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why then to medical professionals wear them at all? Why is there such a tizzy about not having enough of them right now? I mean if they aren’t effective why do hospitals want them so badly?

Maybe - eh - with the toilet paper being horded, they use them to wipe? Just guessing, of course! :laugh6:

Woody

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I had the exact same thought a couple of weeks ago. I kept reading in various places that masks on medical personnel are primarily to protect the patient. I still wonder if that is entirely true.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All this talk about not touching my face has made me want to touch my face. Thanks.

Yeah it's just like that itch you can't touch if your hands are tied or if you stop what you are doing it's going to be a disaster you don't want to fix. The little fly buzzing past your ear and then landing on your nose or the mosquito buzzing your forehead. Or when you see insects crawling all over someone in a movie scene...

Which says to me basically everyone should be wearing masks to stop the spread if you have to be out since you will cut down your spread of and possible chance of catching to nearly zero. The main issue is supply, there just isn't enough out there that is why the places that have figured out a way to sterilize the masks for reuse are going to be a big help. I know it sucks that all this is happening but it will make advances in a lot of other area's as well. The ability to sanitize the masks can be used to sanitize other soft surface materials as well and eventually my guess is that hospitals will eventually have something like what they are using built in for exactly that purpose later on down the road which will help if there is another epidemic that has similar transmission avenues. It's kinda like how a lot of tech advances came out of world war 1 and 2 that we use now. And it happens out of necessity rather than curiosity so a lot more happens because people come at it from different angles, even the failures become useful in some other area too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom