What Diesel Truck Would You Buy For $35k?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.bobcat.com/loaders/skid-steer-loaders/models/s770/specs-options
http://www.bigtextrailers.com/14pi-heavy-duty-pipe-tandem-axle/
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-w...fuel-and-why-is-knowing-this-weight-important

Just for giggles lets figure it out.

Operating weight of the skid steer is 9314 LBS Brand new and who knows if there is fuel in it or not but lets give the benefit of the doubt and say it is fully fueled.

Trailer weight is 2740 pounds dry for a 16 ft version this is the minimum trailer that is rated to haul a skid steer on the site I linked so while this could vary lets just use it as is since this is a safe trailer that is properly equipped and can be purchased right now.

(So we are already over 10K pounds with skid loader and trailer, at what time can I watch someone eat crap while I have a donut?)

Chains and binders, lets say 100 pounds.

Now what else are we going to carry, is this so we can work or just say "Hey I towed that big monster"?

Two people in the truck at 200 pounds each, yeah sorry when towing you have to figure this as well as the gear in the back in. Shovels and other long handled tools 75 pounds. Tool box with misc tools in it 100 pounds. Spare fuel tank since we need extra fuel to work all day 75 pounds empty for 50 gallon tank. Add in 35 gallons of fuel to the tank for 243 pounds.

Add that all up and we get 12947 pounds without a spec of dirt on it. So while not maxing out a 14K load you don't have a lot of extra's. Get a crew cab with five guys, more fuel a larger trailer that weighs more and a second implement for use on the skid steer and you are screwed. Plus if you do this constantly you are putting a lot more wear and tear on the lighter vehicle than the heavier one and getting a 5th wheel camper is pretty much out of the ballpark. For example a 40 foot Big Horn 3755 FL has a Dry Weight of 13,910 lbs and a Gross Weight of 16,000 lbs.

But I will just link this and put a quote in that applies to ANY trailering

http://www.fifthwheelmagazine.com/choosing-a-truck-for-a-fifth-wheel.htm

It is far better to have an over rated truck than one that's max. towing capacity is very close to the gross weight of the Fifth Wheel RV. If this is the case then the truck will almost always be over loaded. We also want to make sure that the hitch for the Fifth Wheel is rated more than the Gross Weight of the Fifth Wheel. This would be our safety zone.

So can we PLEASE put the tow just fine with a small truck to rest?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://www.bobcat.com/loaders/skid-steer-loaders/models/s770/specs-options
http://www.bigtextrailers.com/14pi-heavy-duty-pipe-tandem-axle/
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-w...fuel-and-why-is-knowing-this-weight-important

Just for giggles lets figure it out.

Operating weight of the skid steer is 9314 LBS Brand new and who knows if there is fuel in it or not but lets give the benefit of the doubt and say it is fully fueled.

Trailer weight is 2740 pounds dry for a 16 ft version this is the minimum trailer that is rated to haul a skid steer on the site I linked so while this could vary lets just use it as is since this is a safe trailer that is properly equipped and can be purchased right now.

(So we are already over 10K pounds with skid loader and trailer, at what time can I watch someone eat crap while I have a donut?)

Chains and binders, lets say 100 pounds.

Now what else are we going to carry, is this so we can work or just say "Hey I towed that big monster"?

Two people in the truck at 200 pounds each, yeah sorry when towing you have to figure this as well as the gear in the back in. Shovels and other long handled tools 75 pounds. Tool box with misc tools in it 100 pounds. Spare fuel tank since we need extra fuel to work all day 75 pounds empty for 50 gallon tank. Add in 35 gallons of fuel to the tank for 243 pounds.

Add that all up and we get 12947 pounds without a spec of dirt on it. So while not maxing out a 14K load you don't have a lot of extra's. Get a crew cab with five guys, more fuel a larger trailer that weighs more and a second implement for use on the skid steer and you are screwed. Plus if you do this constantly you are putting a lot more wear and tear on the lighter vehicle than the heavier one and getting a 5th wheel camper is pretty much out of the ballpark. For example a 40 foot Big Horn 3755 FL has a Dry Weight of 13,910 lbs and a Gross Weight of 16,000 lbs.

But I will just link this and put a quote in that applies to ANY trailering

http://www.fifthwheelmagazine.com/choosing-a-truck-for-a-fifth-wheel.htm

So can we PLEASE put the tow just fine with a small truck to rest?
your scenario is so far out of context with the original poster its not funny. But yes, if you wanna haul the biggest and heaviest of everything, then you shouldnt do it with a 1/2 ton truck.
Still, if I had a average sized skid steer (average size is 7,000 lbs) that I used a few times a year, I certainly wouldnt hesitate to use my 1/2 ton to haul it. Not every day mind you, but then that detail was already established.
But Zachary boy wants a diesel so its a mute point.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What’s not funny, self proclaimed experts who have an opinion for every subject but no real experience. Having a 3/4 ton Diesel and a 1/2 ton and experience hauling a Bobcat 185, I borrow from a friend a couple times a year. I can assure you using a half ton at the max of its towing capacity is not only scary/foolish but it’s down right dangerous. However, towing it on a heavy duty trailer and with a heavy duty 3/4 ton truck is not only easy it’s uneventful and boring. It’s safer for you and everyone else on the road. Will a half-ton tow a skid steer on a trailer you bet. Is it the best tool for the job, hell NO! To the OP take advice from those who have real life experience and not overly opinionated jack-wagons who insist on putting their two cents on every post. Get your diesel truck and haul away. you’ll love it and you’ll be glad you have the right truck for the job. Now back to the bickering...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is wrong with you people...
www.dutchforce.com__eforum_html_emoticons_huh.gif

If you happen to find out, would you please let me know? :scratch:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And to say all that other shiznit crap, is just BS.

I would expect no less from you.

When you are talking about safety related to you and your family, not to mention everyone else on the road, I would rather error on the side of safety vs. "oh yeah, my 1/2 ton truck can pull that", which sounds like "hold my beer and watch this" to me. If you want to risk your life by overloading a 1/2 ton truck that's your business, however you are also risking the lives of everyone else.

Here's a trailer I pulled about 2,000 miles when I drove out to Utah. That is my 2500HD pulling the trailer and it was struggling. I rented a Duramax in OKC and traded tow rigs (because my employer was paying me to go to Moab for a photo shoot of my K5 and a to run a booth in a trade show) That trailer was really too much for the 2500HD. That trailer weighed 3,500 lbs, the K5 weighed about 7,000 and the pallet of winches I was taking to the trade show weighed 1,500. That's roughly 12,000 lbs.

I have seen many broken axle shafts and have rebuilt many axles. There is no way I would pull a trailer like this with any 1/2 ton truck!

superlift3qj1.jpg

This is what happens when you use a 1/2 ton truck to pull a trailer that is heavier than the rated tow rating of the truck.
Stopping Distance - Copy.jpeg

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never advocated pulling above the factory rating with any vehicle. Never.

Really? The tow rating on the F150 is not 14k lbs and to even get close to that amount you have a very specific model, not just any F150, and you are telling everyone you can pull it with a F150. That is exactly advocating pulling above the real factory tow rating of the vehicle.

The f-150 ecoboost is rated to tow 14k lbs. I bet any of you dog schit to a donut that a skid steer n trailer do not surpass 10k lbs.
And you hold the stakes in yer mouth.

Latest posts

Top Bottom