What is your biggest Pet Peeve?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hearing a person give a speech or lecture and continue to use...."Ugh" or "Uh".

Example: Ugh...Quantum mechanics is the science of the very small: the Ugh, body of scientific principles that explains the behaviour of matter and its Ugh interactions with energy on the scale of atoms and subatomic particles.

Classical physics explains matter and Ugh energy on a scale familiar to human experience, including the behaviour of Ugh astronomical bodies. It remains the key to Ugh measurement for much of modern science and technology. However, toward the end of the 19th century, Ugh scientists discovered phenomena in both the large (macro) and the small (micro) worlds that classical physics could not explain.

Ugh Coming to terms with these limitations led to two major revolutions in physics – one being the theory of relativity, the other Ugh being the development of quantum mechanics.

This article describes how Ugh physicists discovered the limitations of classical physics and developed the main concepts of the quantum theory that replaced it in the Ugh early decades of the 20th century.

One time at a lecture I had to attend, I noticed the speaker using "Ugh"..a FREAKIN' lot. So, I put a hash mark for each Ugh. By the end of the lecture he had used Ugh over 200 times, and that was after I noticed and starting marking them.

Also...the words lectern and podium...ARGH!!!! G@D D@MN IT...use it correctly!!!!!!

Example: Mr. Cohiba, please take the podium. If that is the only item to give a lecture from...fine.

Example: Mr. Cohiba, please use the lectern for your lecture.....fine...if that's what you want me to use.

Example: Mr.Cohiba, please stand on the podium and lectern for you speech or lecture.

Podium:A podium (plural podia) is a platform that is used to raise something to a short distance above its surroundings. It derives from the Greek πόδι (foot). In architecture a building can rest on a large podium. Podia can also be used to raise people, for instance the conductor of an orchestra stands on a podium as do many public speakers.

Lectern: A lectern (from the Latin lectus, past participle of legere, "to read") is a reading desk, with a slanted top, usually placed on a stand or affixed to some other form of support, on which documents or books are placed as support for reading aloud, as in a scripture reading, lecture, or sermon. To facilitate eye-contact and improve posture when facing an audience, lecterns may have adjustable height and slant. People generally use lecterns while standing.

Podium:
elainemcnulty.files.wordpress.com_2012_08_stock_photo_5852315_podium.jpg

static.guim.co.uk_sys_images_Admin_BkFill_Default_image_group_fc663a815209e4568619729aef6df1ae.jpg

Lectern:

www.colourbox.com_preview_3648005_393108_speaker_s_podium.jpg

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When people refer to every remote controlled aircraft as a drone! A drone is semi-autonomous not a friggin walmart remote control chopper.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^this. Not the post above mine, but when people simply type "^this" in response to a post and nothing else. It's annoying. If you have nothing to really contribute to a subject, then don't.

Latest posts

Top Bottom