'Woke and perverted': Republican lawmaker wants University of Okla. president fired over school-funded drag show

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No. Money paid for by you for student activities.
The point of being at an "institution of higher education" is for what? Remind me? How does the drag show fit into the education? If this was a topic of discussion in a class, I have zero issue with it whether I agree with drag shows or not. Was this $18k well spent and what purpose did it serve. I can only imagine the outcry if OU spent $18k hosting a Christian comedian or something................which I still don't think would be money well spent.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The point of being at an "institution of higher education" is for what? Remind me? How does the drag show fit into the education? If this was a topic of discussion in a class, I have zero issue with it whether I agree with drag shows or not. Was this $18k well spent and what purpose did it serve. I can only imagine the outcry if OU spent $18k hosting a Christian comedian or something................which I still don't think would be money well spent.
I didn't say it was money well spent, just that it was spent on its intended purpose.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I didn't say it was money well spent, just that it was spent on its intended purpose.
Absolutely not........

Student Activity Fee
This fee supports student organizations and services, counseling and testing, student media, career services, campus facilities, and transportation services.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Special Event Fee
This fee supports the costs of special events, including visits by renowned speakers and lecturers from many fields, as well as programs such as the annual foreign policy conference.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
holding the show was wrong in so many ways and if you can't see why then there lies the problem.
Agreed, but is it a firing offense for the president of the university?

Personally, I don’t think so and would assume the shows planning was orchestrated by some sort of student activity director or diversity and inclusion director.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed, but is it a firing offense for the president of the university?

Personally, I don’t think so and would assume the shows planning was orchestrated by some sort of student activity director or diversity and inclusion director.
well i probably would be for firing the president.... a person in that position holds the leadership responsibility and therefor the correction should lay on them first and then down chain from there.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just because I do not care for drag shows doesn't mean that I do not enjoy other events (feeble attempt at calling me a prude?.) Amazing though that you can't debunk the wet t-shirt contest or traditional strip show. Chinese New Year or other holidays like Cinco De Mayo have a broader appeal to everyone regardless of sexual proclivities and politics. As for Strip clubs I have seen heterosexual women enjoy them, and if you enjoy a drag show go. Doesn't effect me either way. What does though is we have social norms and societal norms, that when broken down do chip away at the morality and ethics of people in general. There are reasons why people under 21 are not permitted into strip clubs, but we are bending the rules to pay homage to less than 5% of the population.
Never said you were a prude. But you keep equating drag to strippers and wet t-shirt contests without knowing what the performers wore or what they did during the show. People under 21 can enter strip clubs (at least in Texas, just no drinking) so even that isn’t a good case for your argument. You’re still going to claim it’s some perversion equal to strippers so I’ll quit entertaining you and let you be mad about something at a school you don’t attend and wouldn’t have gone to the event if you were there.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Special Event Fee
This fee supports the costs of special events, including visits by renowned speakers and lecturers from many fields, as well as programs such as the annual foreign policy conference.
Amazing how many people are okay with latitude of the spending of a mandatory school fee yet have issues as to how we are taxed and our government chooses to spend tax dollars, it is the same here on a much smaller scale. Even worse, does the student body elect this person or are they appointed?) My support (teams, sportwear, hats) to my alma mater ceased years ago when they got way too liberal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom