Best Lessons Learned The Hard Way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I learned a lesson the hard way. One of my street bikes is a 2007 M109R and I checked the oil before a long ride. I checked it as I do on all others and in doing so I over filled the bike. It did not hurt the bike just my pride. In my defence you must know the crazy way this bike requires you to check the oil. You must let the bike Idle for 15mins and then cool for 3mins. While bike is straight up and down you then remove the dip stick to check. The whole 15 & 3 rule I have never heard of before. You?

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never heard the 3 minute cool down but checking oil level after engine has reached operating temp and the bike is straight up and down is the way I've done it for the pat 40 years.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno about bikes, but with vehicles, I always let it get to operating temp, then shut it down and wait 1 minute or so. Usually.... :D

Just bought 6 quarts of synthetic... time to change the Tahoe oil. <sigh> That shite's expensive! Glad I go by the "percentage" meter on the computer instead of that every 3,000 miles thing. I'd be spending $100 a month or so on oil changes!

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just do it once to make sure the oil level is right, let it set till it's completly cooled down like it woul be after it sat overnight. Check the oil and note the level. Now you know where it's supose to be when it's cold.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i would think the 3 minute rule would be for the oil to run back down to the crankcase...

^^this

If you check your oil in your bike right after a warmup without letting it sit for a minute it will show low because a lot of your oil is still all over the engine bits. 1-3 min is pretty standard from my experience.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^this

If you check your oil in your bike right after a warmup without letting it sit for a minute it will show low because a lot of your oil is still all over the engine bits. 1-3 min is pretty standard from my experience.

That is normally the case but in the M109R it is different and that is what through me. It actually shows way over full untill you let it settle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom