Dealing with Mental Health

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure they are different and of course it's only a tiny percentage of people with mental health issues that decide to go kill people. But, if a drug can chemically alter a brain such that it causes suicidal thoughts, why couldn't it also alter the brain chemically to cause homicidal thoughts? Or paranoia, or whatever else might cause someone to snap.
It Does

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, but we can't magic those away. So being stuck in the real world, is there anything that can be done to address the mental health problem in relation to firearms?
there is a fine line. One, we have many veterans that have mental health issues due to their service. Are they a threat to society? 99.99% no. Are other facets of society with mental health issues more like 25%+, yes.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
Makes one wonder that since the Deep State can monitor everyone's online activities, if they are intentionally using software to find mentally unstable people with homicidal tendencies and having bots incite them.

Nah, surely not!

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What ridiculous left wing ideology intertwines the mentally ill and firearms?!?!

1: Common sense separates these two unique issues as dissimilar and quickly come to a reasonable conclusion. Mentally ill people are being allowed to harm themselves and others because there is no safe place for them to be and receive the help they need.
2: The only thing that stops mass shootings once they start are firearms and furthermore most mass shootings occur in gun free zones.

Red Dirt Walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It used to be if a person stated, "I'll just go kill myself." they could be taken into protective custody and institutionalized. Not anymore. Getting rid of the mental hospitals was a major financial and emotional blow to families of loved ones that really needed the care. Nursing homes used to be places where you would "park" the mentally ill along with g'ma and g'pa. I remember as a kid, I hated those places because of the crazy people inside. I refused to see my grandparents because of them. I wasn't scared, I was just uncomfortable in my feelings toward these people.

I know the mentally ill we are talking about here in this thread are the walking, talking semi-functioning members who still have a few ants shy of a picnic, Most of these people have been abused or bullied as a child and some are actual bullies themselves.

Fine lines and slippery slopes are the major reasons we do not have red flag registry. Where do you start the line and where do you stop it? Who should be added to the database? Those who are subscribed to a mental health doctor? Those who take certain meds? Those who have exhibited abnormal, psychotic, antisocial behavior? (talk about a slippery slope)

I could write a white paper on this subject.
I hear you and agree. My families best friends growing up had a son that was institutionalized and they had problems with they were closed.
I also agree that it is a slippery slope if you try and determine Rights based upon a medication list or doctors opinions.
I'm a big believer of, if you call out a problem, at least have some ideas on how to remedy or limit the problem though.
I also believe that pointing out the mental health problems in shooters without a way to address the problem doesn't help our cause either as that just leads to the conclusion by the anti 2A crowds that taking away entire classes of firearms is the only viable solution.

I believe that if we as the firearms community are going to continue to point out the mental health problems of the people.....which in many case is documented and not speculation on our part, we need to come up with something to solve or minimize the mental health aspect of purchasing a firearm and firearms ownership.

Red Dirt Walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost every time one of these events occur, friends or family members make comments along the line that they were not surprised. The old idea, “see something, do something” needs to be brought back in its relationship to mental illness.

I lost a friend last Fall due to depression that none of us recognized. I currently have another friend dealing with severe depression. I knew that he had a shotgun and I went to him, as a friend, and asked for the gun, along with the promise that I was available anytime of the day or night if he needed to talk. He thanked me for my actions and we talk almost everyday.
First, thank you for being a good friend. We need more of that.

Let me ask you though. When you went over to your friends house and asked for the firearm.....what would you have done if he refused?

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear you and agree. My families best friends growing up had a son that was institutionalized and they had problems with they were closed.
I also agree that it is a slippery slope if you try and determine Rights based upon a medication list or doctors opinions.
I'm a big believer of, if you call out a problem, at least have some ideas on how to remedy or limit the problem though.
I also believe that pointing out the mental health problems in shooters without a way to address the problem doesn't help our cause either as that just leads to the conclusion by the anti 2A crowds that taking away entire classes of firearms is the only viable solution.

I believe that if we as the firearms community are going to continue to point out the mental health problems of the people.....which in many case is documented and not speculation on our part, we need to come up with something to solve or minimize the mental health aspect of purchasing a firearm and firearms ownership.
Tell me how do we enforce such things when the damn 4473 form has nonbinary which is essentially succumbing to the society's applied norms at the time compared to scientific male-female only?

Wouldn't the mere fact that that question on the form itself can be an argument in court as a green light to all mentally ill persons to acquire firearms?

Latest posts

Top Bottom